Post subject:Short film I made.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:06 am 

I'm proud of this, despite its flaws, so I guess I'll post it up on here. I'm in film school, and this is my projeect from last semester. It's called "Chester, Still," and it's about a high school student who can't find a date for Fall Ball. She's forced to take her cousin to keep up appearances, but he's embarrassingly nerdy, so she hypnotizes him into believing he's his own LARP (Live Action Role-Playing, like real-world Dungeons & Dragons) character.

I filmed it on 16mm film (possibly trad), with a Director of Photography who lost his contact lenses, a camera which came open slightly during transport, giving me some beautiful light damage, and a sound guy who, although normally pretty good, was having an off day and some severe equipment issues.* I can't complain, because I'm going to be one of the last film students to have that issue.

Fair warning: if I understand the MPAA's standards correctly, I earn three R ratings (for language) in about eight minutes, so I guess you should bring some discretion into where you play it.

https://vimeo.com/64067683

*I can trash talk the sound guy because he's me.

Post subject:Re: Short film I made.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:35 pm 

Nice work; I enjoyed it a lot. The light damage looked very cool and I noticed that I enjoyed the composition of the shots as well (which isn't something that usually crosses my mind when I'm watching something).

PostPosted:Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:41 pm 

nerdykarim wrote:
Nice work; I enjoyed it a lot. The light damage looked very cool and I noticed that I enjoyed the composition of the shots as well (which isn't something that usually crosses my mind when I'm watching something).
Thank you. My friend Mike, who shot it, has an excellent eye for that kind of thing. Also, my friend Bryan, who lit the film, put a lot of effort into really beautiful backlighting which made the actors stand out from the background.

PostPosted:Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thank you, that was a nice break.

PostPosted:Wed May 08, 2013 4:08 pm 
Platinum Member

SO... VERY... COOL!

PostPosted:Wed May 08, 2013 10:09 pm 

Thanks very much, BenMN and Billax. I was actually just thinking of this film last night, since I was working on a bit of music for a film that Claire, who stars in this one, is directing.

PostPosted:Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do post more, as you move along through your curriculum.

PostPosted:Thu May 09, 2013 4:41 pm 
Platinum Member

I liked it! :)

PostPosted:Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:31 pm 

Bumping this, since I shot this music video for 1-800-BAND. Featuring a surcingle that was around my waist until about two minutes before the first shot, and a repp tie I keep thinking I'll wear in the summer time.

1-800-BAND - "Sex Offender"

https://vimeo.com/88594600

PostPosted:Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nice! You know, I still like music like that. I wish I knew more about film so I could make an intelligent comment, but I liked it.

PostPosted:Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 pm 
Platinum Member

Really nice job. Thanks for sharing!

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted:Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:00 am 

Thanks, gents. I had a lot of fun making that one -- even if I did have a harrowing phone call to an alarm company.

Here's something else I did recently. It was described as the work of a sweater-obsessed narcissist, which I'll self-deprecatingly cop to.

https://vimeo.com/92552720

PostPosted:Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:37 am 

I like this as well. "A sports movie for indoor kids" sounds like just the kind of thing I'd be into.

Are you familiar with any of the films that have plots centered around debate clubs? If you haven't already seen it, check out Rocket Science--a coming of age story of a boy with a speech impediment joining his high school debate team. It's one of Anna Kendrick's first movies and Clem Snide (Eef Barzelay) does the soundtrack.

One of my favorite movies of all time. I think someone posted a low-resolution copy to YouTube if you're interested in checking it out.

PostPosted:Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:23 am 

nerdyk wrote:
I like this as well. "A sports movie for indoor kids" sounds like just the kind of thing I'd be into.

Are you familiar with any of the films that have plots centered around debate clubs? If you haven't already seen it, check out Rocket Science--a coming of age story of a boy with a speech impediment joining his high school debate team. It's one of Anna Kendrick's first movies and Clem Snide (Eef Barzelay) does the soundtrack.

One of my favorite movies of all time. I think someone posted a low-resolution copy to YouTube if you're interested in checking it out.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out.