Post new topic Reply to topic  [12305 posts ]  Go to pagePrevious1817818819820821
 Post subject:Re: What are you Wearing Today?
PostPosted:Wed May 26, 2021 6:54 am 
Platinum Member

Last week it suddenly turned into summer. I dutifully folded and stored the flannels and Viyellas and big old Filson wool shirts, and dug out and hung the madras, seersucker, short sleeves, aloha and summery shirts.

Then the temps dropped like a tungsten head nymph tied on a jig hook. Of course.

This is why we have sweatshirts and cotton sweaters.

I have amassed a large collection of what eBayers refer to as "safari" shirts. My old ones have split collars and years' worth of fishing-related grime baked in.

So I scoured eBay, discount sites and the usual suspects and came up with a dozen or so mostly tan or beige shirts from Filson, Orvis, Cabelas, Australian Outback and Eddie Bauer (which still exists, sort of). Some have epaulets and some don't. I prefer to go without, the field promotion contingency being somewhat remote.

Plus there is the danger of being mistaken for Stewart Granger.

Combined with some new LL Beanflex plain open collar sport shirts in beige and olive, I am set for the fishing/camp season.

I also got some new Space Age fabric fishing shirts for the really hot weather, the old ones having become even grimier than the cotton safari shirts. Those I picked up during the winter when the purveyors of fly fishing clothing, who make ordinary fashion vultures seem benign by comparison, unveil the latest gimmickry and unload last year's at fire sale prices.

Everything gets treated with permethrin. I dislike ticks.

PostPosted:Wed May 26, 2021 7:09 am 
Platinum Member

A note on grime:

There is a difference between well-worn and disgusting. The late Marty Keane, an expert on antique fishing tackle, used to call signs of wear and tear "honorable use."

Honorable use on a shirt is a small bloodstain that won't come out. Depending on the audience, the stain may be attributed to a) a gigantic brown trout that bit the angler or b) the time the angler rescued a small, child who had just been bitten by a giant brown trout.

Grime is a dark ring around the collar that yields to no known solvent. Similar in function if not chemical composition to the combination of dust and grease that always settles on top of the refrigerator.

Grime is also a smell -- an odor that invokes, in no particular order, memories of high school locker rooms, stale Fritos, mothballs, kerosene and that strange uncle from childhood, the one with the murky past who collected stuffed owls.

PostPosted:Fri May 28, 2021 6:45 pm 
Platinum Member

Is honorable grime possible?

(Asking for a friend.)

PostPosted:Mon May 31, 2021 5:36 pm 
Platinum Member

We had a cold, wet, nasty weekend. I had to dig out the lined chinos. I barely budged from the couch. Caught up on my medieval history ("Sea of Faith" by Stephen O'Shea) and ghastly true crime shows (excellent for napping).

PostPosted:Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:21 pm 
Platinum Member

What with one thing and another I haven't been able to get over the cabin in NY. (Stupid work.)

So I've done the next best thing which is go up to the ancient farmhouse here in town. No electricity, outhouse, and like that.

I share it with my cousins. They get July, I get August. June is kind of up for grabs, but thus far they have been busy with family-type stuff so...

You'd think after the last year I'd be anxious for human contact again, but COVID-19 reinforced my hermit impulses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [12305 posts ]  Go to pagePrevious1817818819820821