Post subject: Argyle sweaters
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:20 pm 
Platinum Member

I see many members wearing argyle socks, but I rarely (if ever) see argyle sweaters. Is there a particular reason for this? Do you find them hard to pair with a jacket/tie?

Post subject: Re: Argyle sweaters
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:17 pm 

gamma68 wrote:
I see many members wearing argyle socks, but I rarely (if ever) see argyle sweaters. Is there a particular reason for this? Do you find them hard to pair with a jacket/tie?
I just don't like argyle sweaters – too many different colors to work well as a layer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Too busy for me, personally. But I like it on someone who knows how to pull it off. Alas, that is not me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:05 pm 
Platinum Member

It seems that they might work well sans tie, with a tan corduroy jacket. Alas, I lack a tan corduroy jacket.

This was the only such photo I could find on the Web of such an ensemble (funny, because it's Brooks Brothers for kids):

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:32 pm 

We mercilessly made fun of that photo when that catalog came in. It's a bit Benjamin Button-ish.

I like this, because the color palette is so limited:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:21 pm 
Platinum Member

Youthful Repp-robate wrote:
We mercilessly made fun of that photo when that catalog came in. It's a bit Benjamin Button-ish.
I think the kid looks pretty good, myself. I'm not familiar with the Benjamin Button chap.

Your photo example looks good, but also very monotone. I agree that the argyle look would be hard to pull off. That's why I have no argyle sweaters--it would be an interesting challenge.

It seems that a Fair Isle is much easier to pair, and those sweaters have a lot going on. It must be the smaller patterns compared to an argyle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:24 pm 
Platinum Member

They have baggage attached for some.

There are plenty of trad forum guys who just strongly dislike Argyle sweaters.

And there are others who think an Argyle sweater is strictly to be worn by females, which may be the real root of it, since lots of guys with history might have the strong impression that Argyle looks effete on a mans sweater.

Some think it is exclusively a component of traditional golf costume, and should be limited only to that situation. Or maybe they dislike the DOW?

Among all of the British-inspired stripes, tartans, plaids, Fair Isle, Aran, and other geometric patterns that have been fully adopted into the American men's trad/Ivy lexicon, the Argyle sweater does not appear to be one of them. Pringle brought in here in the 1920s, and maybe the Argyle sweater peaked and faded as a trend. Is it the diamond with a 60° angle, unlike a 90° grid plaid, that is visually problematic above the feet?

But still, there are some guys who like the Argyle sweater. Conversely, the socks (an old Brooks Bros introduction into the US, I think) are very widely appreciated - if not close to unanimously - for casual applications. (Think of how many Uncle Mac alone must have.) I think the majority of men who wear Argyle socks think the pattern's use should stop there.

I would like to hear Billax's perspective on this, from back in his days working in the men's store, until today, as well as other's opinions.

YRR is right that muted colors make a big difference. I have a very difficult time finding quieter Argyle socks, which I prefer.

I do NOT wear Argyle sweaters. They look girly. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:07 pm 

Ensiferous wrote:
I would like to hear Billax's perspective on this, from back in his days working in the men's store, until today, as well as other's opinions.
I was racking my brain to try and come up with an example of him wearing one – I feel like he'd be able to wear one well.

Gamma, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is an F. Scott Fitzgerald story that was adapted into a movie a few years back, with Brad Pitt in the title role as a man who is born 80-something years old and ages in reverse – so after living for 70-odd years, he's physically a child. The opinion of my coworker (who wears fair isle, but not argyle, sweater vests) was that the kid in the picture looked like an old man in a child's body. The fact that he's posed as if leaning on a cane doesn't help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wearing a J. Crew Argyle sweater vest while buying Lexol at Koontz Hardware.........

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:19 pm 
Platinum Member

^ We should've known Roycru is a man who can rock the argyle sweater!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:39 pm 
Platinum Member

gamma68 wrote:
^ We should've known Roycru is a man who can rock the argyle sweater!
Yes, indeed! And he doesn't let his leather dry out either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:33 am 
Platinum Member

I could wear one that's muted, like the two grey examples above.

But a big blast of argyle will remain confined to my ankles until further notice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 am 
Platinum Member

I think Brooks makes a good point pairing the Benjamin Button kid's argyle sweater with a cord jacket.

IMHO, argyle sweaters and cord jackets are about the same level of formality.

I have a shetland crewneck and a regular wool v-neck in argyle, wouldn't really ever wear them with a tie and would be much more likely to wear them with jeans.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:35 pm 

I had a BB argyle sweater in the past, but seldom wore it--and only casually. I think I sold it on the AAAT site, and it wasn't difficult to find a taker. They look okay, in my opinion, but I prefer fair isle.

I wonder if some people's dislike of argyle sweaters pertains to their perception that an argyle sweater is screamingly "preppy." For those aiming at a more mid-century look, perhaps the argyle sweater seems a bit 1980s?

But maybe that's off, since some items strongly associated with *The Official Preppy Handbook* (LL Bean's Norwegian sweater, for example, and duck boots) appear quite popular.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:17 am 
Platinum Member

Ensiferous wrote:
While I have plenty of argyle socks, I have only one argyle sweater – and that was a gift from someone very important to me. I wear it once a year or so, most recently last Monday. Why then? Well, I had decided to wear a pair of Argyle OTC socks that day. The argyles were Red/Navy/ Hunter Green with yellow rakers for accentuation. Why did I start my outfit with socks? I don't know. I just did. Anyhow, it struck me that my Argyle sweater had exactly the same pattern and colors. So I decided to wear the sweater too. Why had this combo never struck me before? Well, consider the movie Groundhog Day! It's applicable to us old geezers.

So, here are a couple of pix and a comment on Argyle sweaters:

I like Argyle sweaters. I just can't find many places or events to which I can wear them. Then there's the whole Scottish golf thing. The only golfing I do is miniature golfing. Now, if there were a miniature golf tournament requiring plus fours, OTC Argyles, a Scottish Argyle sweater... well, I might not be low scorer, but I could be a contender in the competition to be most Scottish! That wouldn't be too bad for a genetic mutt like me!

As to my days working at Bruce-Ross, we carried 'em, and as they were folded and on the shelves, I loved every one of them. It was only when I tried to pair them up into an outfit that I had trouble. I never succeeded in creating a window display with an Argyle sweater! They are very tricky to pair.