Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 634 Next
 Post subject: Re:The Official Thrift Store Find Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I checked out a new thrift store today and did pretty well for me. No pictures, sorry.

Two white BB must-iron (Makers) OCBD's. $5 for the pair. You guys are going to be horrified, but until now I haven't had a white OCBD, so this is good for me.

One question: one shirt says "All Supima Cotton" and the other says "All Cotton."

What's the difference?

Conor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:13 pm 

redmanca wrote:
I checked out a new thrift store today and did pretty well for me. No pictures, sorry.

Two white BB must-iron (Makers) OCBD's. $5 for the pair. You guys are going to be horrified, but until now I haven't had a white OCBD, so this is good for me.

One question: one shirt says "All Supima Cotton" and the other says "All Cotton."

What's the difference?

Conor
Are the tags different, besides the wording? I'd guess the "All Supima Cotton" one is newer, and that they added the word "Supima" for marketing (sounds luxurious, no?), but that's just a guess. Or it could just be that the one is made with Supima ("superior pima" ) cotton while the other isn't. Congrats on your find, whatever the case.

Supima Cotton website

Wikipedia entry

Quest for the Holy Ale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

wnh wrote:
Are the tags different, besides the wording?
No, the tags are identical except for the extra word.

The one tag reads like this:

Brooks Brothers
15-3 (what is the 3? a length designation?)
Makers
All Cotton
Machine Wash or...

and the other is:

Brooks Brothers
15-3
Makers
All Supima Cotton
Machine Wash or...

So I'm not sure. The supima one is rougher and the other is smoother, if that makes a difference.

Conor

EDIT: Two more things with these shirts that I think are interesting, the sleeves have the "shirring" shown in A. Squire's thread: http://thecurriculum.net/forum?func=view&catid=7&id=849

Also, halfway up from the cuff, where the two parts of the sleeve overlap (not sure what the correct terminology is) where there would normally be a button, there is none (and it didn't just fall off). Is this standard on most Brooks shirts?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 pm 

Conor,

The 3 is the sleeve length, in this case 33.

BB shirts don't have the button midway up the forearm.

Nice finds. Congrats.

Ryan Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the info Ryan.

Conor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:18 am 
$
$

The opening where the sleeve joins together is called the "gauntlet".

Also, all BB shirts have the "shirring" at the cuff. I don't know of any other brand that does. It's how I can tell a BB shirt from others.

Great scores on the shirts. I'm betting they soon become your favorites. Machine wash and put in the dryer for 4-5 minutes on lowest heat setting, then take out and hang dry. Iron if you feel the need.....the fabric is beautiful.

A couple of years ago, when I got my first BB OCBD (an blue irreg. via e-bay for $15) my wife, without any prompting, mentioned to me how nice the fabric was. I had all LE shirts to that point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:32 am 

redmanca wrote:
The supima one is rougher and the other is smoother, if that makes a difference.
Perhaps the rougher is regular oxford, and the smoother is pinpoint oxford? My best guess.
Also, halfway up from the cuff, where the two parts of the sleeve overlap (not sure what the correct terminology is) where there would normally be a button, there is none (and it didn't just fall off). Is this standard on most Brooks shirts?
I don't think the missing gauntlet button is something BB does across the board, but perhaps only on their OCBDs. I think I recall reading on AAAC about their normal non-iron dress shirts having gaunlet buttons, but I could be mistaken. As for sport shirts, it varies. I've got a plaid oxford cloth one without the button, and a madras with. I don't know if there's any rhyme or reason to it.

Quest for the Holy Ale

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow, thanks for all the great info guys.
Perhaps the rougher is regular oxford, and the smoother is pinpoint oxford? My best guess.
That was my first guess based on the feel, but I wasn't sure.

Conor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:23 pm 
Platinum Member

RyanPatrick wrote:
BB shirts don't have the button midway up the forearm.
Brooks appears to offer two types of "original polo shirts" (their all-cotton, non-non-iron OCBD). One is sold through its traditional retail stores and is sized with exact sleeve lengths and no gauntlet buttons. The other is sold through its outlet stores and is sized with inexact (e.g., 32/33 or 34/35) sleeve lengths with gauntlet buttons. Both feature Brooks' trademark shirring at the cuffs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:26 pm 

I found a first edition(1945) of "Up Front" (Willie & Joe) by Bill Mauldin for a couple bucks over the summer down near NYU. Not very many trad clothing sources thrift-wise south of 14th Street...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:21 pm 

Happy, happy day for me. For a while now I've been looking for a nice Hartmann tweed briefcase, preferably in blue. I finally found one and am most happy. Best use of $40.00 I've had in many a month. All it needs is some saddle soap on the belting leather and it's good to go. Also, it's very clean inside and out, the locks & clasps work perfectly, still has the Hartmann tag, and it's free of odd odors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 am 
$
$

Wow - nice score, A.Q.!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:48 am 
Platinum Member

I found a bespoke or MTM suit at the good ol' Bargain Barn - navy with a funky stripe arrangement, working cuffs, heavy fabric, ticket pocket on the right hand side (owner must have been a lefty), two-button, single vent, noticeable waist suppression, subtle darts, and what I believe is a Flusser sort of shoulder (i.e. sticks out a bit so sleeve hangs straight, probably talking out of my fanny here); forward pleats, really nice and not Ivy in the least, but the thing fits like a glove. No labels at all but the feel of it, the stitching, and the details make me think it was made for somebody, somewhere.

God bless the medium-sized investment bankers and attorneys who retire to Sharon, Conn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:52 pm 
$
$

Sounds very interesting. I look forward to a picture of that suit, Patrick.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:46 pm 

I picked up a navy blue 3/2 sack blazer by Deansgate for the Princeton University Shop. Found it at a thirft store, it was half price, $2.99.
I've never heard of this brand. Can anyone tell me about them?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 634 Next