Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 534 Next
 Post subject: Re:The Official Thrift Store Find Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:54 am 
$
$

redmanca wrote:
Thanks for the replies and information guys.

I have an additional question though. You both recommended khakis, but which color khaki? I mean would British tan khaki work? I'm not sure if it is too close to the vest. I haven't tried it yet, and I guess I'll just have to see. I'm excited regardless. My wife isn't so happy though. Between the way I've started dressing and my pipes, I think she is getting the old man vibe a little too thick.

Conor
Ha! I think any khaki that is not the exact same shade as the vest would be fine. The pattern of the vest makes enough contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:55 am 
$
$

I went into my 2nd favorite thrift store and I found a great pair of Allen Edmonds Randolph in mocha brown suede leather, and only paid $15 for them. The shoe looks to only have been worn a few times. I am looking for recommondations on how to clean them. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Ackred Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:07 pm 

redmanca wrote:
Thanks for the replies and information guys.

I have an additional question though. You both recommended khakis, but which color khaki? I mean would British tan khaki work? I'm not sure if it is too close to the vest. I haven't tried it yet, and I guess I'll just have to see. I'm excited regardless. My wife isn't so happy though. Between the way I've started dressing and my pipes, I think she is getting the old man vibe a little too thick.

Conor
I actually think British tan might be too dark, but I can't say for certain. I was just thinking plain ol' khaki khakis. The brown darkens the sweater quite a bit, so even if your khakis are similar in color to the background of the sweater I think you'll be fine.

Re: "old man vibe" -- I have a brown cable-knit BB cardigan that my wife affectionately (or maybe not) refers to as my "grandpa sweater."

A bit of unsolicited advice: you seem relatively new to the whole dressing nicely thing. I recently discovered that although my eyes like the look of certain "old man" items, my body doesn't. As a thin 24-year-old, some things just don't work for me, as much as I may like them. So my suggestion is to take the time to figure out not only what you like, but more importantly what works for you. Personally, though many here dislike the Polo brand, I've found that Ralph makes some nice traditionally-inspired items that are updated just enough to work for me without being updated so much as to become throw-away items in a couple of years.

Quest for the Holy Ale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok, thanks guys. I have some khaki khakis, so they should work.
wnh wrote:
A bit of unsolicited advice: you seem relatively new to the whole dressing nicely thing. I recently discovered that although my eyes like the look of certain "old man" items, my body doesn't. As a thin 24-year-old, some things just don't work for me, as much as I may like them. So my suggestion is to take the time to figure out not only what you like, but more importantly what works for you. Personally, though many here dislike the Polo brand, I've found that Ralph makes some nice traditionally-inspired items that are updated just enough to work for me without being updated so much as to become throw-away items in a couple of years.

I am very new to dressing nicely, so I am always looking for tips and suggestions. Thanks very much for the great post wnh. I have one Polo shirt, and like it very much. I will be on the lookout for more of their stuff.

Conor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:45 pm 
Platinum Member

You guys are gonna barf, but I found the brother to last week's J. Press tweed. I wonder if this guy dropped off any suits?

Same price, $20.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:18 pm 

Ok, Patrick, spill the beans--just *what* are you sacrificing to the Thrift Gods to get such great jackets?? The first was enviable, but that second one is just gorgeous.

And if you see anything by Press in a 44L or XL, snag it and let me know!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm 

Well done, Patrick...been on quite a run!

I found a really nice Southwick jacket (it was a 2-button darted heavy wool charcoal herringbone model) that fit me like a glove. The only problem was that it looked like someone put out a cigar on the left sleeve... I checked the pants isle and found the matching trousers (which also fit like a glove - and were in perfect shape). Came away with a really nice pair of pants for $3.99.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great jacket Patrick. I love the second one especially.

In case anyone finds any Donegal wool sacks in the 40-42 size range, that aren't too much, let me know. I am a big fan of the weave and having actually been to Donegal, it is sort of close to my heart, and I would love all the stuff in it I can get.

EDIT: Never mind, I found one. My wife is buying it for me for my birthday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0308408555

Conor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:44 pm 

I found a nice Harris tweed today. It is a 2 button and darted from a company called Amherst & Brock, but I figured for $4.98 it was a good deal.
If anyone on the board is interested, they had 4 BB sack suits (2 where BB stretch from 346) that I would guess were 42R or 42L. All the suits appeared to be in really good condition and had dry cleaning tags attached. I'd be happy to swing by on my way home from work and pick them up.
There was also a Donagal tweed, 2 button, darted that was probably a 48L.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:02 pm 

Patrick wrote:
You guys are gonna barf, but I found the brother to last week's J. Press tweed. I wonder if this guy dropped off any suits?

Same price, $20....
No upchucking from me simply because we wear different sizes, so what you get from me is a hearty "Well done!" and best wishes that whoever has been letting go of such things is only at the very beginning of their closet clearing.

I recently found a Brooks 3-button sack navy blazer from 1975 for only $14.00 and as soon as it's back from the cleaners I'll post a picture.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:19 pm 
$
$

I have been debating ordering from bluchers from Bean for awhile and today I found some old stock for $5.99! These are made in El Salvador and don't have the seam on the inside that the current version does. Strangely, they are 10.5 (I normally wear 9.5 or 10) but fit me fine, guess I can put all my gift cards towards something else!

Brian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:54 am 
Platinum Member

Found a winter weight Press navy suit and a summer weight Deansgate glen plaid, both in great shape. Press label has San Francisco listed. Jackets fit fine; I'll have to have the trousers let down an inch or so and probably lose the cuffs in the process. (Or wear the flat fronts like jeans and do an Alden Pyle "no break no kidding." ) Still, for $8...

Photos later

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

One day, Patrick, I would like to make a trip up to your neck of the woods for some thrift shopping.

You think I'm joking?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:49 pm 
Platinum Member

JordanW wrote:
One day, Patrick, I would like to make a trip up to your neck of the woods for some thrift shopping.

You think I'm joking?
I never joke about thrifting. Politics, yes. Religion, certainly.

But thrifting is serious bidness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:22 pm 

Been pretty dry lately, but lulls are usually followed by...well, you know...

Anyway - I scored a white slim-fit non-iron BB OCBD today. $4.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 534 Next