Post subject: Re: Idiot Box Faves
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:19 pm 
Platinum Member

I bought the "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" box set. Kolchak never fails to trip over the cat and knock over the garbage can in the alley, thereby alerting the vampire. Of course, in his pincord suit and white sneakers he's visible at night anyway.

And the hat, jeesh. I want one just like it.

Post subject: Re:Idiot Box Faves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 pm 

30 Rock, Castle and Archer.

RIP Boston Legal and Arrested Development.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:06 pm 

I just started watching Bones, both on Fox when it's new and using Tivo to find reruns on other channels. Fun show! I like all the forensics, the humor and the circular nature of so much of the character of Dr. Temperance Brennan, creation of Kathy Reichs, who on the show writes fictional stories whose lead character is called Kathy Reichs. The author writing the character writing the author.

Plus I seem to have developed a crush on one of the characters, she of artistic bent. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My wife and I decided not to connect cable in our new house when we moved and we're about to hit the month and a half mark. We literally don't miss it at all.

That being said, we have a Roku box as an alternative which gives us Netflix and Hulu Plus. It apparently gives us other things, but we haven't had the need to venture further down the rabbit hole yet.

We really enjoy watching series from start to finish and Hulu and Netflix remove all the frustration of waiting for a series to play out over the years. I gave up watching Mad Men because I'd rather watch it over a period of months a few years in the future.

So aside from some common favorites like 30 Rock & The Office we've found Downton Abbey and Kingdom (both from the UK). Downton Abbey is one of the best dramas I've seen in a while and we've actually we-watched it already and Kingdom is, as one review online said, "Sunday night television at its coziest" and stars Stephen Fry, who I like very much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 am 
$
$

I though Downton Abbey was excellent as well. If you like Brit dramas, try the new Upstairs, Downstairs (late 2010). It's a little more edgy than the '70s/'80s version, and beautifully shot.

I'm currently living in a country where copyright laws don't exist, apparently. You can get any movie or series extant for about 95 cents a disc. My son introduced me to Gavin and Stacy, a contemporary British sitcom, which I found very entertaining. I'm waiting for my store to, um, acquire the second and third seasons for me.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I liked Downton Abbey also. Anyone know if there is going to be anymore episodes? I have seen all the ones that are up on netflix.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes. They are shooting now from what I understand and will air late in the fall. Apparently some time will have passed and the series will pick up in the midst of WWI and will introduce some new characters as well as bringing back some old ones. I'm very excited about its return.

Another series (if you can even call it that given there are only 3 episodes) is Sherlock. You can see them on Netflix as well. They originally aired on Masterpiece here in the US. There are also new episodes of this one coming in the winter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:21 pm 
$
$

Trip English wrote:
My wife and I decided not to connect cable in our new house when we moved and we're about to hit the month and a half mark. We literally don't miss it at all.

That being said, we have a Roku box as an alternative which gives us Netflix and Hulu Plus. It apparently gives us other things, but we haven't had the need to venture further down the rabbit hole yet.

We really enjoy watching series from start to finish and Hulu and Netflix remove all the frustration of waiting for a series to play out over the years. I gave up watching Mad Men because I'd rather watch it over a period of months a few years in the future.

So aside from some common favorites like 30 Rock & The Office we've found Downton Abbey and Kingdom (both from the UK). Downton Abbey is one of the best dramas I've seen in a while and we've actually we-watched it already and Kingdom is, as one review online said, "Sunday night television at its coziest" and stars Stephen Fry, who I like very much.
The only part of not having cable that can be a bit rough is sports. I watched a lot of soccer games in Egyptian this year since I couldn't find other decent quality online streams. For tv itself, not having cable is 100% better.

I just got my girlfriend's parent's HBO Go account name so I'm watching a lot of hbo right now. I'm watching Game of Thrones right now, but I cant wait to catch up on Treme and Trueblood.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

One of the many perks of not following sports!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm 
$
$

A.Quay wrote:
I just started watching Bones, both on Fox when it's new and using Tivo to find reruns on other channels. Fun show! I like all the forensics, the humor and the circular nature of so much of the character of Dr. Temperance Brennan, creation of Kathy Reichs, who on the show writes fictional stories whose lead character is called Kathy Reichs. The author writing the character writing the author.

Plus I seem to have developed a crush on one of the characters, she of artistic bent. :)
Bones is a very fun show. If you haven't watched the early seasons, netflix them. Plus, there are a number of attractive female characters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can now report that season two of Downton Abbey is going to be splendid.

On a somewhat related note, if you ever watch the series Monarch of The Glen (available on Netflix streaming), be prepared to think of Lord Kilwillie as you're watching Downton Abbey. That's the character played by Julian Fellowes, Downton's creator, and it's a very different tone.

And Hookem, getting the HBO Go credentials of a loved one is a smashing idea. I'd like to re-watch game of thrones after finishing reading the series.

I was considering bringing back cable just for the upcoming Aaron Sorkin series, but maybe this will be a workaround.