Post subject: Ginger Beer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:56 pm 
$
$

As I will never get around to brewing my own ginger beer, what are other favorite brands?

I came across a bottle of Goslings in my basement liquor cabinet (the bottom of an old cabinet) on Saturday and headed out to the store and got a 6 pack of Barritts and a lime. I know that's probably the most mainstream of Dark and Stormys.

The drinks were very good, if a bit uninpsiring.

I am interested in a slightly more spicy ginger beer.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Post subject: Re:Ginger Beer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:33 am 

Not a terribly "Trad" brand, but if it's spice you're looking for, the garden varity Goya brand ginger beer from the "international foods" aisle of your local Piggly Wiggly should suffice. I bought it with excitmment and gave it up becasue I found it too spicy, as to overpower the drink. But it might be just what you're looking for.

JB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:46 pm 
Platinum Member

Regatta. So soothing they give it to cancer patients.

Sounds like a terrible idea for a slogan.

"Oncologists agree!"

Anyway, it's really tasty stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:09 pm 
$
$

^Thanks for the suggestions.

I was going to wind up at the Stop & Shop Goya aisle if'n I struck out at the booze store.

Patrick, where can one find said Regatta?

I'll try these and report back...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:58 am 
$
$

Was on Cape Cod this week, and the drink of choice was Dark 'n' Stormies. My sister and brother-in-law had never tried it, and they immediately loved it.

Each day after we got back from the beach, we got the kids in the outdoor shower and made up "vats" - big 16 oz plastic cups - of Dark 'n' Stormies.

We then got out the washers game (like horseshoes, only pitching large washers into homemade plywood and 2 x 4 boxes with big coffee cans mounted within) and played for an hour or so.

After a few days, we used up all the Goslings Ginger Beer we had brought - a new brand of G.B., which is a bit spicier than Barritts. It made very good DnSs.

The problem: after the first weekend, every package store on the Cape was out of Ginger Beer. It seems that the drink is the 'in' drink on the Cape this summer. On Monday/Tuesday we drove to (not kidding) 6-7 stores, all of which reported that they had sold out.

When we went out to dinner, even the restaurant/bars reported that they were out of ginger beer and could not serve the drink.

After striking out at the liquor stores, we thought of Trader Joe's - they had ginger beer, but it was the Jamaican Style, which is not as fizzy and tastes sour or frutier than the Bermuda style ginger beer. It was not good in the drink at all.

We also found another bottled brand: "Regatta" which said it was Bermuda style, but tasted much more like the Jamaican style. Also not good.

It became a game as we were out on any errand to spot and stop in at any small package/grocery store to try to find some Goslings or Barritt's ginger beer.

We finally struck pay-dirt at the 1856 Country Store in Centerville. They had a stand up coke fridge which had about a case of cans of Goslings cans in it.

Whew!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:18 am 

Great input. Ginger beer, and even ginger ale, is such a good mixer.

I love a good Dark & Stormy on occasion (with Mount Gay). Moscow Mules are excellent as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member

PaperClip wrote:
^Thanks for the suggestions.

I was going to wind up at the Stop & Shop Goya aisle if'n I struck out at the booze store.

Patrick, where can one find said Regatta?

I'll try these and report back...

http://www.regattagingerbeer.com/where_to_buy.php

or

http://www.kegworks.com/search/search.p ... a&x=24&y=7

It ain't cheap, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Any of you drink Blenheim ginger ale? I love the stuff, though its hard to find up here in un-Dixie. I imagine its easier to come by down in SC where its from. Very hot in the back of the throat (like a spicy V8 if youve had it), though my daughters will take sips (and run and laugh as they choke). They have a ginger beer too though I've never tried it. A few years back they had it at Restoration Hardware of all places. I ordered a case (24) a while back for somewhere around $2 per, shipped. Oddly enough its now owned by the 'South of the Border' tourist trap.

http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/05/blenheim-ginger-ale
http://www.beveragesdirect.com/detail-4 ... asp?aid=15

Not quite as spicy but still good and snappy is the Red Rock golden ginger ale. Pick it up if you come across it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 pm 
$
$

I can get Blenheim at Mast General Store here in town. The gold top stuff is pretty good, but the red top is a bit too hot for me to enjoy. I can drink it, but it gets old pretty quick. I've been meaning to try the gold top with rum to see if I come up with a hillbilly version of the dark and stormy. Think it's worth a try?

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^I just noticed that the new Garden and Gun mag has a page on dark and stormys and also shows blenheim as a option.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:22 pm 
$
$

Patrick - I have tried the Regatta and it tastes more like Jamaica style (fruiter) than Bermuda (dry and spicy). It was nice by itself, but useless in a Dark and Stormy.

I was at a liquor store the other week, and I came upon a plastic wrapped case of Gosling's ginger beer cans. I could not resist and brought the whole thing (along with a handle of Gosling's dark rum) up to the counter. The guy laughed and said he had never sold it by the case before. He gave me a slight discount on the per-can price. It wound up being about $27 for the case. I now have a good supply for the next coupla months.

I'm not sure it is a winter drink, but we'll probably have a few now and then. After trying all the other various ginger beers, my wife and I like Gosling's cans the best, with Barritts in 2d place - it is plenty dry, but not spicy enough for our liking. In fact, in all our ginger beer tasting this summer, we never came across any more Barritts.

I also saw in the rum aisle that Gosling's now has a ginger ale as well. It came in a package with a bottle of "golden" rum and a notation to mix the two to make a "Ginger Gale". Don't know if it'd be any good. Seems a bit gimmicky to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:24 pm 
$
$

Speas wrote:
^I just noticed that the new Garden and Gun mag has a page on dark and stormys and also shows blenheim as a option.
My G&G came Saturday, and I noticed that too.

Finally got the stuff together tonight, and can report that Blenheim gold cap works pretty doggone well. Spicy but not too hot. I used Flor de Cana rum because that's what I happen to have on hand. I used 1.5 oz rum to about 6oz Blenhem and a generous slice of lime in an old fashion glass. Next time I'll probably use a smaller slice of lime (a 1/8 piece instead of 1/4). BTW, Mast charged me $1.25 per for the Blenheim.

Enjoy,

Scott

Post subject: Re: Ginger Beer
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This seemed to the only thing in our local store(outside of Goya) so I bought it. A quality product for sure but a little pricey http://www.fever-tree.com/drinks.php

Have a case of Barritts coming from Beverage Direct shipped to my doorstep for $39.00.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:46 pm 
Platinum Member

It was pretty hot and humid today, so I decided to wind down with a Dark and Stormy made with Gosling's Black Seal rum (of course) and some Gosling's ginger beer (Barritt's - from Bermuda - is the classic option, but I don't have any on hand). I used a hurricane glass from Pat O'Brien's in NOLA just for fun. Refreshing, as always.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gotta go with Blenheim's extra spicy myself. My GF's addicted to it and it work really well with a good rye, too. If you're looking to add a little extra kick to your dark and stormy, track down some Crabbies. It's an actual fermented "beer", excellent flavor but fairly sweet.