Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next
 Post subject: Re: _______, it's what's for dinner.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:23 pm 
$
$

Reuben, I think you could do it with venison. Bayless, suggests veal subs as varied as pork and beef tongue. The only worry I would have with venison is that it would be too lean and the meat would dry out when braised. It's a recipe suited for meats with some fat and connective tissue. That said, venison shank meat or similar might do well.

Courtesy of Mrs. C - Orchiette with garbanzos, Kalamata olives, garlic, rosemary, tomato paste, red pepper flake, and Romano, served on a bed of arugula, We supplemented with penne because we didn't have enough "little ears."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:40 pm 
$
$

Ahh, springtime!
Penne with asparagus, peas & pancetta in a tarragon lemon sauce.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:07 pm 
$
$

Overcooked :( salmon with Asian-ish peas, bok choy, and shitakes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:15 pm 
$
$

Yesterday started off all springy and then devolved into a blustery cool day, so we had spare ribs braised with saurkraut, onions, apples, and caraway. Didn't look great (so no pic) but it sure was good!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Brussel sprouts with diced bacon ends, garlic, and onions:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11 pm 
$
$

Nice. Roasting Brussel sprouts is one of my favorite ways. Love the cast iron, with a very nice seasoning, it appears.

Yesterday eve, a wonderful quiche compliments of Mrs C., and a green salad. Spring is here!
I forgot to take a pic 'til after we were done!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cecil47 wrote:
Love the cast iron, with a very nice seasoning, it appears.
Saved from a junkyard, stripped of years of rust, dust, cobwebs and burnt-on crud, then seasoned with 8-10 layers of baked-on linseed oil.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:00 am 
Platinum Member

Reuben and Cecil: You two have a good conversation going. I'm very pleased to be a fly on the wall as you two talk of culinary matters!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:58 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not for dinner, but for breakfast:

Little bit of everything from the dregs of my crisper: Vidalia onion, carrot, russet potato, japanese sweat potato, some diced bacon ends, some apple, a celery heart, ounce of bourbon, dash of bitters, and an egg poached on top. Not pictured is the delicious macaroon from the bakery around the corner.

Semi-related note to my skillet, I'm finally upgrading my chef's knife from the old Cold Steel skinner I've been using. Going through a fairly knowledgable eBay seller with a great stock and getting his recommendation. I'll be sure to share whatever I end up buying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't snap a picture of this, but I gave my skillet a workout whipping up a real southern brunch: baby link venison sausage, country ham, fried eggs, home fries with onions and bacon ends, and a hoe cake with fig preserves. Mmmmm, cholesterol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FWIW I love country ham.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

csharp wrote:
FWIW I love country ham.
Oh, I do too. Only way it could have been better was if I'd had smoked pork jowl instead of bacon. Better flavor than bacon and just a little meatier. Not enough to be that abomination that the Brits call bacon, but enough that it stands up quite well on its own for a sandwich.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 pm 
$
$

I love country ham too, on a biscuit, but we just don't get it often out here.

A couple prep school friends came over while my sis was in town from DC, and we had an informal 35th :shock: reunion. Duck Purloo which is like a jambalaya and a salad. Purloo looks like crap, but it's oh so good, especially with wild duck.

2 kinds of sausage, 3 ducks (2 mallards and a woody), red and yellow bell pepper, lotsa onion and garlic, mushrooms, and rice. Oh, and a scotch bonnet.

Served with a Walt Pinot and a Raymond Meritage. Dessert was a key lime pie compliments of Mrs. C, but it was gone before I could get a pic.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 pm 
$
$

Lamb chops, roasted cauliflower with olive oil, garlic, balsamic, and parmesan, and baked potatoes. Ate it all before I thought to snap a pic. Served with a 2004 Cline Cashmere (not a fave of Mrs C, but I liked it just fine!), Offered to make a nice bearnaise for the lamb, but Mrs C prefers that nasty mint jelly. Yuck!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

From a while back: "kitchen sink" hash, has a everything but the kitchen sink tossed in. Sweet potato, russet potato, carrot, onion, kale, brussel sprouts, diced bacon ends, corned beef, pastrami, pork pan sausage, venison baby link, bison pot roast, and a little ground elk. Woulda tossed a couple eggs on top but I'd run out.

And tonight the Reuben is eating his tail. Reuben sandwich with pastrami and corned beef, swiss cheese, videlia dressing instead of thousand island, a little lusty monk mustard (the absolute best mustard I've had), and some sauteed onions on fresh-baked seedless rye bread.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next