Post subject: _______, it's what's for dinner.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:08 pm 
$
$

Poached dove breast salad with flat leaf parsley, roasted garlic, pinons, and roasted red peppers with balsamic and olive oil, idea courtesy of Hank Shaw at Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook.
http://honest-food.net/ This is a great food blog.
Doves from last week's hunt. Made a believer of Mrs. C47 who had only heard baaad things about dove (livery, don't ya know). Served with a nice Cote de Provence Rose.

Post subject: Re: _______, it's what's for dinner.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:30 pm 
$
$

who did the actual cooking? the dove looks delightfully moist ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 pm 
$
$

That would be me. Mrs. C47 cooks but she leaves the more "exotic" stuff to me. Bring the broth (duck, goose,etc preferable, but I used beef) to a boil, add dove breasts, take off heat and cover. 8-10 minutes gives nice pink centers without drying them out. It's very easy to overcook such dainty morsels.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Your food looks superb Cecil- I worked as a chef for many years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:54 pm 
$
$

Thanks Ben, usually my meals look like a mess on the plate, but taste pretty good. Presentation is not my strong suit.

Tonight we went out to our favortite place and had a supper of all small plates:
Miso & sesame broth with kale; arugula salad with roasted banana squash, feta, and a chipotle vinaigrette; duck & pork pate with smoked cherries; sichuan quail legs with black vinegar peanuts; and a caramel custard with black sea salt. All with a nice Argentine Malbec. Very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14 pm 
$
$

Tonight, a more "approachable" prep for dove breasts - 1/2 jalapeno (seeded and deveined for Mrs. C47, unaltered for me), sharp cheddar, and a dove breast wrapped in good bacon and grilled until crispy, about 10-12 minutes. Very good. Of course, you could wrap jalapeno, cheese, and an old shoe in bacon and grill it and I'd love it. Sorry, no photo, as they didn't last that long!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^^Sounds great! My late sommelier friend and I used to put on small wine dinners in the restaurant which I think you would have liked....

I notice you gravitate towards bitter arugula, and parsley is seldom used much around here (although I have), but I agree that it is very good. Anything to that? What got you started on food? I am starting to miss those late nights at the restaurant now..... I haven't cooked much these past few years, besides basic stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 pm 
$
$

Tonight, gnocchi with a sauce of garden tomatoes, green bell peppers, roasted red peppers, onions, garlic, aleppo pepper, italianish herbs, and some french black truffle cheese we got at the Cheeseboard in Berkeley. Served with crusty bread and old vine Zin.

Both my folks cooked at a very good restaurant in Aspen in the 50s-70s, so I guess I have it in my blood. My mom would come home and cook to relax after work.

Any ability I had remained dormant for years. When I was racing bicycles seriously, I lived on pasta with sauce from a jar, plain bean burritos, and microwaved scrambled egg burritos, fig newtons, and bananas.

I didn't start cooking again until I met the Mrs. Now I love it. We now make our own bacon and prosciutto (duck or goose).

Game birds (and other game) are a relatively new passion, as I didn't hunt until about 5 years ago. Oh what I was missing! I do think it is very important to see where your food comes from. It gives you an appreciation for the life given up, and an abhorance of wanton waste.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:48 am 
$
$

dont waste your wantons - they make an excellent soup.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 pm 
$
$

:D What's all this talk about wonton waste I keep hearing?
You made me go look it up to make sure I was right. Good one!

Tonight - last night in NM for over a week requires one thing - GREEN CHILE. Blue corn enchiladas with green and red chile (xmas), pintos, and sopaipillas at one of our favorites holes in the wall. We'll get green chile upon our return next Sunday also, maybe even before we get home from the airport!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrfQZ_anNYM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:44 pm 
$
$

Yesterday - Homemade turkey & wild rice soup from the freezer, with baquette & cheeses.
Tonight - Roasted beet and fingerling potato salad with arugula, toasted walnuts, and Parmesan. Served with a Saga blue brie and baguette.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 pm 
$
$

Cajun Christmas party at the house today for my staff. Andouille & chicken gumbo, jambalaya, big mamou, and french bread. Dessert was creole pecan bars and pumpkin cake. The house will smell like sausage and rouz for a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sounds good- what is rouz? Same as what the french call roux? Oh, maybe a typo now that I look at a keyboard..

I had a nice steak frites dinner the other night, as I finished up an ongoing project earlier in the day. The real kicker was the popcorn pre-meal: sprinkled with truffle salt and molten duck fat. Beats a bread basket anyday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:06 pm 
$
$

rouz, roux, potato, potahto.
Definately roux.
Sometimes I habe a hatd time tuping. :wink:
Truffle salt & duck fat make anything great.