Post subject: Does it get much better than this?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:30 pm 
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -8OOvf1NPY#!

A buzzed Bill Murray in a shawl neck cardigan and patchwork madras pants stumbling around the set of Moonrise Kingdom.

I am really looking forward to this.

Post subject: Re: Does it get much better than this?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm 

Should be good. Anderson's films tend to be similar but entertaining as long as you don't watch them back-to-back, which results in severe disdain for all of his characters.

Madras pants are great but I still don't own a pair. I figured I'd get a few more miles in before I picked some up.

ID on the shoes? They sound like some sort of rubber or soft sole.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:55 pm 

I loved Rushmore and Bottle Rocket but have been a bit disappointed in everything he's done since. They're still great movies but just a touch too precious and stylized.
It was better when he was writing with Owen Wilson, I think he's a better comedic writer, and for whatever reason he stops the films from taking themselves too seriously.

Of course I'm still excited for this and will be waiting in line opening night.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:23 pm 
Platinum Member

Overall the only one I didn't really care for was Life Aquatic. Otherwise I really like the rest of his movies. Yes a lot of the characters are unlikable, and yes the movies are overall pretty precious, but I still eat 'em up.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:07 am 

Agreed with OP. Can't wait for this one to come out. Loved Royal Tennenbaums and Rushmore.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:36 am 
$
$

I'm really looking forward to this one, as I do most/all of his movies. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but because he went to a rival high school in town (once struck out 19 of 'em in a game, so there, Wes) I forced myself into liking his movies early on. Now I genuinely like all of them, and I'm particularly looking forward to this one. Life Aquatic may still be my least favorite, though, with Bottle Rocket as #1 and Darjeeling as 2 (I think I'm in the minority on this one)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd reverse the order myself - Darjeeling #1 & Bottle Rocket #2. Rushmore next, then Royal Tenenbaums. Then Life Aquatic. Then Mr. Fox.

I've heard some good buzz about Moonrise, though. May crack the top three.

It's odd that Life Aquatic was one of my least favorite movies to watch, but one of my absolute favorites to think about. It's Wes at his most indulgent with set pieces overwhelming the narrative. I think it was also his biggest budget and his ambition to spend it appeared out of control. A friend of mine has a print of the Bellafonte and I look at it every time I visit her.

Darjeeling, though, was perfect for me. Just enough of everything. Very memorable.