Post subject: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:34 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was broken-hearted when Smiley traded in his beautiful amber tortoise shells for that set of swimming goggles...

Post subject: Re:Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not familiar with the novel, Sartre. Would it be worth picking up a used copy?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:21 pm 
$
$

If I may answer for Sartre, since I'm here, yes, absolutely, one of my favorite novels. Also fabulous, the British 70s tv adaptation, which you can get from netflix, (about 8 episodes) with Alec Guinness as the definitive Smiley, and Ian Richardson, brilliantly, as Heyden. The current movie, while good, can't compare to the above two.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rambler is correct on all of the above.

In the new movie version, Smiley trades in his very good looking pair of amber tortoise horn rim glasses for a pair of Coke bottle specials. In the movie, it is a (very useful) device for the audience to tell the difference between what's going on in the present (Coke bottles) vs. what's being presented in flashbacks (tortoise shells).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:24 am 

The Rambler wrote:
If I may answer for Sartre, since I'm here, yes, absolutely, one of my favorite novels. Also fabulous, the British 70s tv adaptation, which you can get from netflix, (about 8 episodes) with Alec Guinness as the definitive Smiley, and Ian Richardson, brilliantly, as Heyden. The current movie, while good, can't compare to the above two.
Agree about the novel and the tv adaption. I haven't seen the movie yet, but look forward to it. The adaption was so perfect, I think, that it might give the current version the opportunity to experiment a bit. I hope it is sufficiently profitable to finance a version of The Honourable Schoolboy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:51 am 
$
$

Maybe I'll read Hon. Schoolboy, it's been 20 yrs or more, and I loved it. Thanks for the idea, AP. I think the movie version of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is brilliant, btw, as ironic and pared down as a Greek tragedy. The book, too, for anyone looking for a short one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:52 am 

I also warmly endorse the BBC version, as well as their other representations of the earlier LeCarre novels. Indeed, I think all of his earlier, Cold War novels are very much worth reading. Can't say the same for the post-Smiley books. I found them too polemical.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would certainly recommend the current film. I believe they did an incredible job finding a way to do in two hours what the BBC did in six. Stylistically, the sense of dread that hangs over the movie is palpable. Ebert in his review wrote, "Yes, we imagine, international espionage is probably pretty much like this. No thrilling car chases and no big action scenes, but rather a series of weary men, smoking and drinking tea or whiskey, in a series of conversations that circle an enigma."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:21 am 

David Cornwell, 1964.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 pm 
$
$

At the height of his powers. Never seen that one, thanks for posting. Btw, AAAT got significantly less interesting when you stopped posting in the American Trad Men thread, AP.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just finished this thanks in part to the movie preview and you lot. Completely engrossing. Is the rest of the Karla series this good? My local used book store has a whole le Carre section so I should be in good supply.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Conor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:00 pm 
$
$

I think they are all excellent, Redmanca, if you liked TTSS you'll like the others, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:00 pm 
$
$

I think they are all excellent, Redmanca, if you liked TTSS you'll like the others, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:01 pm 
$
$

oops.