Post subject: In praise of chinos
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 am 
Platinum Member

I wear chinos, usually in a khaki color, about 90 percent of the time.

Why?

Versatility:

Chinos are cool in the warm weather. (I don't know how people wear jeans when it's 90 degrees. Ugh.) Lined chinos, or chinos plus long underwear, work well in the cold weather.

Versatility part 2:

In their khaki form, chinos go with just about anything. A quick touch of the iron, and they are dressy. Ignore the iron, and they are pleasantly rumpled. You can also get them muddy without fearing for your investment.

Longevity, or getting the maximum bang for the buck:

My chinos start out nice, with a crease. Depending on circs., they gradually work their way into the "pleasantly rumpled" category. ("Pleasantly rumpled" is the fat part of this particular bell curve.)

Then it happens. The spaghetti in the lap. The unexpectedly soft river bank. The wet, muddy dog.

The final stage, two standard deviations away from the crisp original, I call "fish pants." (Also known as gardening pants, oil-changing pants, post-hole digging pants.)

I have fish pants that are almost 20 years old. Remember those JC Penney chinos? I still have some of those, which I prudently bought in both size 36 and 38, which at $12 per was possible.

(Boy did JC Penney miss the boat on those. If they brought them back -- hearty twill, on-seam front pockets, alterable waist -- they could call them Sustainable Artisanal Heritage Chinos and charge big bucks.)

So let's hear it for the humble chino.

Post subject: Re: In praise of chinos
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:02 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrick, total agreement here. Versatility, longevity, and the ability to go from first tier gear all the way down to tier "Holy crap I need to throw these out...next year."

The history of chinos, and their enduring functionality, are obviously and justifiably legendary.

Slight adjustments made over the years (my favorite being a judicious application of taper-- conceived mid-century) combined with certain perennial and immutable details (sufficient rise, flat front-- vintage WWII) definitely make them foundational.

Post subject: Re: In praise of chinos
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:04 pm 
Platinum Member

I forgot to add one more to Patrick's attributes of the chino:

Respectability. They look so much more adult than the sweatpant/pajama thing that guys wear, or the low rise skinny trouser epidemic. WTH. :?