Post subject: Xmas 2019 swag report
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 am 
Platinum Member

It's just me and my mother (age 82). On the clothing front it was quiet -- a Collared Greens tie in the Mets' blue and orange, and a set of white show hankies.

Books and doodads made up the balance on Christmas day, because the two big ticket items were trips. Trip number one, just concluded, was to Norwich, Conn., where we spent a couple days doing genealogical research on my maternal grandmother's family (Calkins, sometimes spelled Caulkins). Read up on Hugh, a founder of Norwich and all-around big wheel, and a grandson Stephen, who was one of the original proprietors of Sharon, next town down the road from my current address in Salisbury. (So Calkinstown Road, which runs between Sharon and Cornwall, probably has something to so with Stephen and descendants.)

Trip number two takes place this spring -- a few days at the Allenberry Resort in southwestern Pennsylvania, with a guide trip for the numerous spring creeks that harbor gigantic earth-shaking wild brown trout.

For the friendly confines of the Otis Library and environs, and trying to travel light in uncertain weather, I made do with a slouchy darkish green tweed from Press, an old dark red large windowpane Viyella sport shirt with open collar, and a Teflon edition LL Bean blue ocbd (pinpoint), no tie. Grey lambswool v neck LL Bean sweater, lined chinos in stone and olive, and AE Leeds (pebble grain/Dainite) rounded it out. Scarf and Harris tweed cap (blue) available if needed, which they weren't.

If you find yourself in Norwich check your brakes, because the streets of the old port give San Francisco a run for the money in terms of steepness.

And be sure to visit the Slater Museum at Norwich Free Academy. WHile on the Grad Tour, Wm. Slater (founder of NFA) got the idea of having casts made of the world's great statues. Then he shipped them home. In due course he got tired of Mrs. Slater saying "Oh, Bill, not another 50 statues!" and built a museum on the campus. The net effect is truly startling, both in the physical effect and in the sheer looniness of it all.

I'll put up some pix later.

Post subject: Re: Xmas 2019 swag report
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:38 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrick wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 am
...Stephen, who was one of the original proprietors of Sharon, next town down the road from my current address in Salisbury. (So Calkinstown Road, which runs between Sharon and Cornwall, probably has something to so with Stephen and descendants.)
That is interesting. I have been on that road, and it is very pleasant country.

It also helps to explain why you were so at-home at the Bargain Barn around the corner; the territory is ancestral after all.