Post subject: J. Keydge Slack Jackets
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Greetings all! It's been a long time, but I haven't bought many clothes in the last few years until a recent weight loss has forced my hand. So here I am re-examining fits, brands, etc. with what's on offer today.

I've worn unstructured Italian jackets like Boglioli and LBM 1911, but while the jackets themselves are incredible, the fabric selections reflect their sartorial idiom.

This brings me to J. Keydge which has always seemed to exist on the margins of the tradition, but did (does?) seem to offer material choices more in line with Ivy dressing. The only problem is they seem to be perpetually out of business and I don't want to start a doomed hunt for relics of a defunct brand.

Does anyone have an inside track on their potential relaunch? Any other brands I may be missing that might fit the bill?

Post subject: Re: J. Keydge Slack Jackets
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 pm 
Platinum Member

Glad to have you back Trip!

When I was in London last November I had the extreme pleasure of visiting John Simons. I came away with one of their "Ivy" Jackets and am very happy with it. They can be found here: https://www.johnsimons.co.uk/jackets/?sort=newest

While trying it on the shopkeeper told me that they used to work with Keydge, but they have unfortunately gone out of business (as you mention). So, they took it upon themselves to create a similarly floppy jacket to the Keydges of past, but their interpretation focuses more on Ivy details. They seem to be produced in small runs, as my tweed is different from the one on offer on the site currently, and they are all made in London. The script labeling inside that indicates this also looks very similar to the script labeling on Drake's garments (at a fraction of the price!).

In short: there's minimal lining, no structure at all really, no shoulder padding, no darts, patch pockets, two button cuffs, and you can sorta finagle the 3 buttons into a roll.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:58 am 
Platinum Member

leisureclass wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 pm
Glad to have you back Trip!

When I was in London last November I had the extreme pleasure of visiting John Simons. I came away with one of their "Ivy" Jackets and am very happy with it. They can be found here: https://www.johnsimons.co.uk/jackets/?sort=newest

While trying it on the shopkeeper told me that they used to work with Keydge, but they have unfortunately gone out of business (as you mention). So, they took it upon themselves to create a similarly floppy jacket to the Keydges of past, but their interpretation focuses more on Ivy details. They seem to be produced in small runs, as my tweed is different from the one on offer on the site currently, and they are all made in London. The script labeling inside that indicates this also looks very similar to the script labeling on Drake's garments (at a fraction of the price!).

In short: there's minimal lining, no structure at all really, no shoulder padding, no darts, patch pockets, two button cuffs, and you can sorta finagle the 3 buttons into a roll.
This is an exceptionally detailed write-up leisureclass, and one for which I am grateful! Nicely done, Sir.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You've hit it out of the park, old man. Those jackets look absolutely fabulous. Especially the Vetra! I hope they continue to make these.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:22 am 
Platinum Member

Thanks guys!

I have a Vetra as well, got it on super sale from Unionmade. It's also nice, but not as nice as the Ivy jacket from John Simons.

Vetra is a chore jacket company (think Bill Cunningham) so their blazers are hybrids between those French work coats and a blazer. Similar in that there's also no structure, no shoulder padding, no darts, etc. but it's definitely a step down in terms of formality and not as versatile. It's also short, borderline a "bum freezer" on me (I'm 5'11").