Post subject: Greatest thrift shop/eBay finds
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:05 am 
Platinum Member

What are your triumphs in the used clothing market?

Two come to mind:

1. At the annual Fall Festival, at the Episcopal church in town, I donated a big pile of stuff to the men's clothing department. In return, the fellow in charge said I could snaffle anything I wanted. And lo and behold, in a corner under a light covering of dust, a pair of Alden cordovan monkstraps in my size. After a bit of work with the brush and buff cloth, they shone like new. I rarely wear them, but I have them.

2. Walked into the Bargain Barn in Sharon, Conn. one afternoon some years back and found not one but four J Press tweed sportcoats in my size. Not only that, they did not require alteration. It was a once in a lifetime find.

Then I got fat and sold them.

Post subject: Re: Greatest thrift shop/eBay finds
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:55 am 
Platinum Member

Going with your theme of bulk hauls: I once ended up with a vintage Brooks Brothers navy pincord suit and a Corbin Navy blazer (both with all the right bells and whistles) that must have been donated by the same gentleman. I get up to the counter, and after complimenting me on my finds, I was reminded me that there was a sale going on that entitled me to all sorts of other stuff because of the amount of my purchase (think I came away with an additional tie, shoe trees, and a hanger).

And once many years ago I found a Brooks Brothers tweed that fits like it was made for me. At first I was slightly reluctant because it had a dime sized hole in the sleeve, but after finding the right tailor I was able to patch that up nicely. Now I wear it so much I lost a few sleeve buttons (I'm down to one on each side) and the lining is starting to wear out in spots.