Post subject: Wearing the Ivy League Look in College? Let's see the looks!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:21 pm 
Platinum Member

It's October of 1963. I've been married to the Classic Beauty for two months. I should have graduated in the Spring of 1963 to be in sync with my classmates, but I've got a few months to go. The Classic Beauty has already graduated and is working in a University research endeavor. She's making all the money and I'm going to all my classes, which was uncommon for me!

The Ivy League look is beginning to wear out its welcome, but no successor is yet on the horizon. If I can find a few old pics of me, I'll post 'em with accompanying comments.

Doing homework (it's a "Time and Motion study" course, required for getting my Industrial Engineering degree):

Items:
• Gray Shetland Wool Sweater (do not remember the maker)
• White OCBD by Gant – Purchased from the store I worked at
• Steel Blue twill trousers tapered to 15 3/4" (the house brand at the menswear store in which I worked). To be fair, I was a 42" chest, 29" waist at the time, so that taper looked fine.
• Wigwam wool socks (the classic athletic socks of the era)
• Bass Weejuns in Burgundy

At the moment, we're driving a 1953 Chevrolet BelAir convert, but I'll soon trade that in for a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair:

Life was good. It still is!

More to come.....

Last edited by Billax on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Wearing the Ivy League Look in College? Let's see the looks!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:55 am 
Platinum Member

I did wear my Tux to the wedding. This is a week after our wedding... and almost a week after the discovery that my least favorite Uncle (who talked himself into becoming the official wedding photog) discovered he had not put any film into his camera. The Classic Beauty's Mom shot this picture. My Tux was already at our College apartment, so my 3/2 roll, 2 sleeve button, Haspel Pincord suit had to do. Note that in 1963, ties were VERY skinny. In retrospect, the changes manufacturers were making in widths and proportions were sending out signals that the long run of the Ivy League Look was coming to an end!

It is said that, at a wedding, all eyes are on the Bride. That was true at my wedding... and it's true in this picture. She's 5'4" and 97 pounds. Me? I'm a near invisible "any man!" That's the way weddings are supposed to be.