Post subject: Re: What's left?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:19 pm 

rmpmcdermott wrote:
leisureclass wrote:
Updated Ivy stuff apparently available at Sid Mashburn:

http://www.ivy-style.com/southern-reviv ... acket.html

Anyone seen these in person? Look very nice, but perhaps too short and wide shouldered for me (being sort of tall and very narrow shouldered is a real pain in the @#$).

There is a Sid Mashburn store in D.C. I haven't been there, but I can take a look if anyone needs me to.
I was just in the DC Sid Mashburn store a couple days ago. The stuff there is nice, but of particular interest to the more "fashionable" side of trad. As Trip noted, the cuts are slim. I own one popover from Sid and it's not terribly skimpy, but it certainly ain't a BB or J. Press shirt.

Lots of stuff there is in good taste: Tretorn sneakers, some lovely ties. But the stuff is slim cut and expensive (my friend bought a candle for $90 there!).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I promise I'll post Luxire pics! I've been swamped with job-site work so I haven't been dressing up much since it came. I did wear it once and washed it. The only error I made - and I can't figure out why - was getting the cuffs about 1.25" too large. It was definately my error. I'm about to place my second order for a pale blue end on end. I'm going to build up a half dozen or so foundational shirts before I go for something nutty, like a contrast club collar or something.

As for getting the Mercer collar, you just ask for it in the comments and they'll correspond with you to confirm. They've apparently reversed engineered several collars including Mercer's. I'm going to get my OCBDs with locker loops as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:03 am 
Platinum Member

Trip English wrote:
They've apparently reversed engineered several collars including Mercer's.
That is a smart move, and I applaud them. Really, how hard is it to emulate a desirable, exemplary, classic shirt collar. Too bad the Italian department stores like Lands End and Brooks Brothers can't make a copy of what they used to make years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just got back from the Sid Mashburn in D.C. Really loved the shop.

They offered me an ice cold water in a nice heavy old-fashioned glass as soon as I walked in. The SA, who came up from the original Atlanta store, walked me through their Virgil model, which is their sack jacket (named after Virgil Tibbs, no less). He was very nice and very patient with all my questions. The base blazer is $950, but MTM is only about $200 more.

Nice selection of Aldens as well as house-branded penny loafers and oxfords. They sell Tretorns as well, which is pretty cool. The OCBDs looked very nice for the $145 price tag. At least as nice as the new Brooks. Couldn't get a judgement on collar roll, though since I didn't try one on and wasn't wearing a tie anyway.

The only real let down was the chinos. They looked and felt amazing, but the rise just didn't cut it. Seriously bummed about that. But for the same price you can just get O'Connell's anyway. And Press is even cheaper than that.

I ended up picking up a white polo shirt. It's very, very nice. Soft pima pique. No logo other than a microscopic "SM" on the front left. You can't even see it when you tuck the shirt in (which I assume everyone does with a tennis tail polo). And it has a front pocket, which I really like.

Anyway, I'll probably head back over this weekend when I have more time, but I really enjoyed the store.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 am 
Platinum Member

^ Did you try on the Virgil? How was the fit? I'd love to visit that Sid at some point, have family down that way so it should happen eventually.

And to other points in this thread, Michael Spencer has a sale going on right now: blue uni-stripe, red uni-stripe, and white OCBDs can be had for less than $100 shipped. Here's the PTO post that I got the info from: http://putthison.com/post/146902845308/ ... -shirts-in

For the uninitiated, they do a 3.5" unlined collar, and you can go crazy with trad friendly options like locker loops, flap pockets, etc. It's even no additional cost to get yourself a popover, which is what I did, very much looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did. I had to size up, but the jacket in a 46R instead of a 44R fit very nicely. Not short at all. There is some waist suppression, though not a ton. It's definitely fashion-forward Ivy, but nowhere near the extent of Thom Browne or even York Street. It's very tasteful. Also, definitely more suited to trimmer guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:39 pm 
Platinum Member

leisureclass wrote:
And to other points in this thread, Michael Spencer has a sale going on right now: blue uni-stripe, red uni-stripe, and white OCBDs can be had for less than $100 shipped. Here's the PTO post that I got the info from: http://putthison.com/post/146902845308/ ... -shirts-in

For the uninitiated, they do a 3.5" unlined collar, and you can go crazy with trad friendly options like locker loops, flap pockets, etc. It's even no additional cost to get yourself a popover, which is what I did, very much looking forward to it.
Thanks for mentioning this sale. I just ordered a red "candy stripe" OCBD with pocket flap, locker loop and (for the heck of it) a split yoke. I like the option of ordering by .25" increments. Looking forward to wearing it this fall with some tweed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:49 pm 
Platinum Member

gamma68 wrote:
Thanks for mentioning this sale. I just ordered a red "candy stripe" OCBD with pocket flap, locker loop and (for the heck of it) a split yoke. I like the option of ordering by .25" increments. Looking forward to wearing it this fall with some tweed.[/quote]

Ha, I made the exact same purchase, but I did go with a lined collar! I have a plain blue unlined in the works as well.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:50 pm 
Platinum Member

rmpmcdermott wrote:
I did. I had to size up, but the jacket in a 46R instead of a 44R fit very nicely. Not short at all. There is some waist suppression, though not a ton. It's definitely fashion-forward Ivy, but nowhere near the extent of Thom Browne or even York Street. It's very tasteful. Also, definitely more suited to trimmer guys.
Thanks for the report! I dig some Sid. Would love to try a Virgil.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

OCBD wrote:
rmpmcdermott wrote:
Thanks for the report! I dig some Sid. Would love to try a Virgil.
I think Sid would be right up your alley. The jackets are a bit slim for me since I'm a heavier guy, but they might be perfect for you.