Post subject: Ebbets flannels
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I wrote about this over in the WAYWT thread, but wanted post something here too. I know baseball caps aren't the the Ivyist of Ivy. But I recently had an experience with Ebbets Flannels and they were the best clothing company I've dealt with in a very long time. The kind of customer service and craftsmanship that's disappearing.

Not sure how many of you gentlemen on here wear baseball caps or are fans of the history of the sport, but I can't say enough about the caps and jerseys they make. They focus on pre-70s minor league, Pacific Coast League and Negro League stuff.

They're handmade in Seattle. The jerseys are made to order and the hats are made in rotations of small batches. I just got this 1934 US Tour of Japan cap from when Connie Mack took the biggest baseball stars of the time over to barnstorm. I plan on getting a couple more as well. I had a great email back-and-forth with someone over there and found exactly what I wanted when they out of stock of something else. They checked back in to make sure it came and that everything was kosher. Really cool people.

I think some of the caps they have there are perfect for the Ivyist who likes a well-made wool baseball cap. A pair of chinos, an old ocbd, tretorns, some wigwams and a baseball cap is a good spring look, I think.

The Natural, anyone?

https://www.ebbets.com/product/New-York ... p/Ballcaps

Post subject: Re: Ebbets flannels
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:07 pm 
Platinum Member

RMP, I've also been a fan of Ebbett's Field Flannels and appreciate the craftsmanship. (Incidentally, are you a SABR member? You sound like the kind of person who may enjoy the group.)

I don't have any of their caps currently. My go-to is an all-wool faithful replica of the 1967 Detroit Tigers cap. I absolutely adore my Tigers--this will be my 40th season as a die-hard fan. So I'd find it hard to wear a cap from another team.

I believe EFF has a 20% off sale going on now, so if anyone's interested, this would be a good time to check them out.

Baseball is God's gift to sport.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not a member. Though I do drop in on the website occasionally. I just love baseball stories more than anything. Roger Kahn is the master. George Will. Thomas Boswell. I love it. It was such a huge part of my childhood and I played until high school. Die hard Phillies fan. I'd never wear another MLB team other than the Phillies, but I don't mind the Ebbets stuff since it's a lot of minor league and other historical teams.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:53 am 
Platinum Member

The Cooperstown Ballcap Company did much the same thing with an absolutely mind-boggling array of choices...

...until Major League Baseball shut them down.

I love baseball but I increasingly detest Baseball.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Patrick wrote:
I couldn't agree with this more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:26 am 
Platinum Member

^ Agree, but I don't think a love of baseball is as complicated as a love of the NFL.

Also, I was in the middle of working out the details of an order with Cooperstown when they got shut down, so frustrating!

Does anyone know anything about Ebbets doing larger sized hats?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:05 am 
Platinum Member

Patrick wrote:
Agree. The game itself is wonderful, but the owners and players seem to be intent on screwing it up further with each passing season. The game is very different from the era when my dad first took me down to Tiger Stadium in 1976.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

leisureclass wrote:
^ Agree, but I don't think a love of baseball is as complicated as a love of the NFL.

Also, I was in the middle of working out the details of an order with Cooperstown when they got shut down, so frustrating!

Does anyone know anything about Ebbets doing larger sized hats?
Shoot them an email. I had a great back and forth with them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:44 am 
Platinum Member

Here's another outfit working similar territory

http://www.idealcapco.com/index.shtml

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:27 pm 
Platinum Member

A J.Crew catalog came in today's mail. I see they're now carrying Ebbets Field Flannels caps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

gamma68 wrote:
A J.Crew catalog came in today's mail. I see they're now carrying Ebbets Field Flannels caps.
They have been for a couple years now. There are a few they do especially for J. Crew and they all have the leather adjustable strap in the back rather than being fitted like the actual Ebbets caps. I don't mind an adjustable hat in general, but for baseball caps like this I prefer a fitted cap.