Post subject: Re: Trad Bespoke/Custom
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:00 pm 

I've heard Read Wall in DC is a good option if going this route, and he even openly endorses TNSIL: http://www.readwall.com/pages/suits-sportcoats

And eBay seller Mack has several lengths of deadstock Chipp fabrics now: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Crafts-/14339/m ... _nkw=chipp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:38 am 

I believe some of the Anderson & Sheppard-ish tailors will sometimes work without a dart, but their sense of detailing and shape ends up looking more English than TNSIL – I guess they use a very shaped side body.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:37 pm 
Platinum Member

Trip English wrote:
Also, OCBD - I wasn't aware that true bespoke got that low in the US. Not trying to get into one of the Style Forum semantic episodes where the crops fail and the scarecrows come to life, but I've always been under the impression (mostly from reading blogs, forums, and magazine articles) that an average bespoke suit was a $6-8k affair, at least for the first one.

In this economy, however, I imagine there are innumerable ways to cut down on the costs.
Trip, I have no idea in reality. I took those numbers from a 2009 interview with Mr. Winston. I would really like to have something made by him before he retires. The clock is ticking.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Youthful Repp-robate wrote:
I believe some of the Anderson & Sheppard-ish tailors will sometimes work without a dart, but their sense of detailing and shape ends up looking more English than TNSIL – I guess they use a very shaped side body.
It absolutely is a very different look, my father's tailor made a suit for me some time ago and their house cut is notably structured and shaped, even for an English cut:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Reuben - that is quit a handsome suit.
I believe Tom Rath/Phil from AAAT and here had quite a bit made by Paul Winston modeled off of an old BB jacket. The pictures looked fantastic.

I have used Southwick and Samuelsohn MTM Ian's will likely stick with Samuelsohn going forward. I think they make a better quality garment with a wonderful natural shoulder. My SA at the local retailer has told me Samuelsohn will do CTM (cut to measure) in which fabric can be sourced directly from a mill. I am considering ordering Minnis Fresco or Fox flannel and have made up.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:39 pm 
Platinum Member

Trip, check your private messages.