Post subject: Re: Brooks Brothers New Old Collar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:32 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks for the tip, LC.

Anyone have feedback on the Tokyo Classic Fit? They are out of all 15/32s in blue so no rush.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:13 pm 

The sizing is all sorts of wonky. Tokyo classic is shorter in the sleeves and larger through the torso (as stated by the website). I've found I need a 34 arm in Kamakura, though I'm usually a 33 in US. Though I still fit into a 15 3/4 neck. And I'm a NY Slim, so it could be different depending on the model.

Realistically, you have to head into NY to figure out what you wear for them, given that their sizing translations are never perfect and can be all over the place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:40 am 
Platinum Member

John - Thank you for the additional information.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:49 am 
Platinum Member

Think there's any chance that BB will send the remaining 132Qs to their outlets for final clearance? Or will they let them trickle away via the web and whatever remains in mainline stores?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 am 
Platinum Member

Ox: Yeah John is right, their sizing is kinda crazy, and you'll probably have to size up in both neck and sleeve, so if you're usually a 14.5/32 a 15/33 is your best bet.

I was in the New York store last spring and had a chance to try on all their different fits, the majority of which were uncomfortably extra-slim. The fit that I ended up with was the biggest/most classic option of the 4, I believe it's called the NY Classic (and one size up in both neck and sleeve from my usual). Generally speaking it fits somewhere between a Brooks slim and a regular fit.

Gamma: One can only hope!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:31 pm 

gamma68 wrote:
Think there's any chance that BB will send the remaining 132Qs to their outlets for final clearance? Or will they let them trickle away via the web and whatever remains in mainline stores?
When I tried to find a 132Q in a brick and mortar BB, the salesmen told me that they had to ship them all back, and he presumed that they'd end up in the outlets.

As others have suggested, the Kamakura measurements are baffling. When I was in NY a couple of years ago I headed to the store and tried a few shirts on. I bought one, which I like, but I don't think I'd get one online, because the fits are a bit all over the place. If they could regularize things, Kamakura would be a great option, since the price is decent and the collar rolls well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:36 pm 
Platinum Member

While making an infrequent trip to the mall, I stopped at my local BB and saw the new OCBD. Nice collar. I like the purple shirt. I still don't like the missing pocket. Didn't bother to unfold one. Stock was fairly low and semi-hidden upstairs.

About 90% of the sale merchandise was Red Fleece. Nothing grabbed my attention.

I left empty handed. It seems there isn't much at the brick and mortar store that interests me anymore.

I'll make a point to check the local BB outlets to see if the old OCBDs have shown up yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:19 pm 

Went to a BB Outlet in St. Augustine this weekend to pick up a coat for the GF since I forgot to pack hers. While in there, I spied our beloved 132Qs. All were "Madison" fit, all in white or blue. I asked the cashier about it and he said that they just got those in and were expecting more. I didn't look at the price, but they weren't specified as being discounted at all, and were definitely not in the clearance section.

He also mentioned that the outlets were switching to slim-fit (and would be receiving 132Q slim-fits soon), and the regular fit would be available at the mainline.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:03 pm 
Platinum Member

Spin Evans wrote:
Went to a BB Outlet in St. Augustine this weekend to pick up a coat for the GF since I forgot to pack hers. While in there, I spied our beloved 132Qs. All were "Madison" fit, all in white or blue. I asked the cashier about it and he said that they just got those in and were expecting more. I didn't look at the price, but they weren't specified as being discounted at all, and were definitely not in the clearance section.

He also mentioned that the outlets were switching to slim-fit (and would be receiving 132Q slim-fits soon), and the regular fit would be available at the mainline.
Great news, since I wear the slim fit OCBD. Thanks, Spin!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:26 am 
Platinum Member

No doubt some of you have noticed BB has introduced new colors for its "original" OCBDs.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:34 pm 
Platinum Member

Looks like great options to me, I'm wearing a vintage grey BB OCBD as we speak, and it's one of my favorite shirts.

I also really like gingham, have a couple gingham shirts as well, and they're very wearable year round (not just in summer like you would think)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^I'm likely to get one of the blue ginghams when a sale comes. Not sure about the green stripe. Nice in concept but I have an old solid green oxford and dont use it much. I fear the grey would suffer the same fate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd be down for the brown gingham, green stripe, and grey if they had pockets.