Post subject: The Curriculum club ties?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was recently reading about the ties of different historical clubs and schools and it got me thinking that it might be cool to have a club tie made for members of The Curriculum since it's an invite only "club."

The only club I belong to is the National Press Club and they don't have any such items. This place definitely feels like a club where I come to enjoy the clothes and commentary on arts, food and other things, especially when I want to get away from other parts of the internet. And I truly feel like the members here have become a part of my life not unlike a virtual fraternity.

Now I have no idea if this is even feasible. I don't know where one could get a tie like this made, but I thought I'd see who was interested and if anyone had any ideas about what the club's emblem would be or where to get ties made. What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: The Curriculum club ties?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:15 pm 
Platinum Member

I would also be interested in this. Perhaps a neck and bow tie could be made?

I have no knowledge on how to go about such an endeavor, but the Cordial Churchman might be a source for a bow tie. I have several of their ties and they're all excellent. And isn't the owner a member here?

RMP, were you reading about the historic of club/emblematic ties online? If so, have a link? I enjoy learning about the history of menswear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ I was in Press and admiring a few of the Yale club ties so I just did a bunch of research into the Yale, Princeton and Harvard clubs. Not one single article or anything.

I think both bow ties and neck ties sound great. I'd certainly purchase a couple neck ties. Any designers or graphic artists on here who might make a club emblem?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tie Bar does custom ties for $25, but with a 50 tie minimum. Might be tough to get that many members who would want one.

https://www.thetiebar.com/custom

Knotty does it as well, but doesn't give an estimate on cost.

http://www.knottytie.com/pages/organizations

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 pm 

I too am interested in this. My biggest concern with some of these companies is that it looks to me like they will be printed. Which is fine, but when I think of a club tie, I think of it being an embroidered emblematic. Which reminds me, I believe Reuben had a line on this last year, but something came up.

Paul Winston would likely be the best source of knowledge in this area.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Agreed. I'd want something embroidered as well. No reason to go cheap on this. And I assume as well that Paul Winston would be a great resource to tap. Paging Reuben!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:01 am 

I'd be interested in such a tie; it would be fun. I think Paul Winston can have special orders made; I recall some special order ties he did for an AAAT member, who sold some remainders on the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:40 am 
Platinum Member

rmpmcdermott wrote:
Agreed. I'd want something embroidered as well.
I'm also with you on this. Embroidery is the way to go.

Not to put the cart completely in front of the horse, but would we want a crest of some sort or symbol, animal, other?

Embroidered Curriculum critter pants would be awesomely hilarious (down the road)!

I'd suggest we have three potential designs for a member vote.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:55 am 
Platinum Member

Thinking out loud....

"Curriculum" is linked with academia. So perhaps an emblematic crest/coat of arms would be appropriate for our tie. Something similar to a university crest.

Three words we might include with the crest that embody our ideals: Education. Consideration. Presentation (or in Latin, Educatio [or Ludus], Ratio. Adesse).

I'm not a Latin scholar, just using what I quickly found online, LOL.

Or this might be overly pretentious. But I just wanted to toss the idea out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Like the funny Chipp emblematics that usually have one "odd" emblem, like Santa mooning you, we ought to have one little emblem that's just JOVAN in a circle with a line through it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:25 pm 
Platinum Member

A simple concept to be heavily modified. Just a place to start the conversation; colors, overall design mean absolutely nothing. Tear it apart. Total starting point, and probably not a very good one.

The "CCC" is just a made-up place holder, and could be latin as gamma said. As an example (but not for us) I have always admired Col Jeff Cooper's "DVC" (accuracy, power, speed) and we could use some symbolic and appropriate initials that you all come up with.

I thought about a field of small stars (flag inspired) in the bottom half of the shield, as an American theme. Or the whole idea could go whimsical/GTH like Trip mentioned, a la Chipp. Sorry about the low res.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

gamma68 wrote:
Thinking out loud....

"Curriculum" is linked with academia. So perhaps an emblematic crest/coat of arms would be appropriate for our tie. Something similar to a university crest.

Three words we might include with the crest that embody our ideals: Education. Consideration. Presentation (or in Latin, Educatio [or Ludus], Ratio. Adesse).

I'm not a Latin scholar, just using what I quickly found online, LOL.

Or this might be overly pretentious. But I just wanted to toss the idea out there.
I love this idea with the Latin, especially those three words. Maybe an open book lying flat with the words making a triangle above it, all of that encircles by a shield or something traditional.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ensiferous wrote:
A simple concept to be heavily modified. Just a place to start the conversation; colors, overall design mean absolutely nothing. Tear it apart. Total starting point, and probably not a very good one.

The "CCC" is just a made-up place holder, and could be latin as gamma said. As an example (but not for us) I have always admired Col Jeff Cooper's "DVC" (accuracy, power, speed) and we could use some symbolic and appropriate initials that you all come up with.

I thought about a field of small stars (flag inspired) in the bottom half of the shield, as an American theme. Or the whole idea could go whimsical/GTH like Trip mentioned, a la Chipp. Sorry about the low res.

I love this idea, too.Thanks for taking up the cause with us Ensif. I might adjust the colors, but that design in general is a great starting point. Would we want to do scissors and thread perhaps instead of the animal? Or we could do the old McDermott crest: a wild boar!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:58 pm 
Platinum Member

"Open book" concept, with whatever lettering you want:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ I love the straight navy and maroon and I really dig the look of the open book concept. I'd love to hear more thoughts from others! I think the more options we come up with the better we can refine it.