Post subject: Alternative penny loafers?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:22 am 

I was wondering if our members had strong feelings on alternative styles of penny loafers – going beyond the classic Weejun-ian handsewn and the LHS/Patriot style. I'm looking for a welted loafer, I think, and I'm leaning towards burgundy calf.

The two I'm interested in are the low-vamp full strap (as made by Alden or AE), – in black, it seems to be the choice of the quasi-trad (basically, shops at BB) New York businessman.

I like them, but they strike me as a bit on the dressy side: are they a bit sleek for wearing without a tie or a sportcoat, in your opinion?

The other style I'm curious about is the JM Weston style, with high vamp, chunky toebox, and split toe:

That seems like it wouldn't dress up too far, but I'm not as concerned about that. But is it too distinctive? And does buying the Meermin version seem a bit inauthentic (since the style is so heavily associated with a particular maker?)

Of course, I'd love to hear alternative options, as well.

Post subject: Re: Alternative penny loafers?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:20 pm 
Platinum Member

I like #1, and would probably wear them. They're definitely a bit on the dressy side. #2 and #3 seem too fashion-forward, more of an homage to the penny loafer than the "real deal," rather like a pair of low-rise khakis. They also strike me as neither dressy nor casual, which would make them harder to wear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:34 pm 
Platinum Member

If you cover the split toe on the second option, they look fine. Our percipient group here would instantly see them as having been stylized, but most others would see a nice shoe. But for me with the split toe? No go. Way too many other fish in the sea, shoe-wise. And I like split toes where they belong.

#1 are certainly classic, but I can't wear the low vamp/Randolph/LHS-type, because having a wide forefoot and narrow heel, they ride like a flip flop on me.

My penny loafer alternatives, or more correctly, variations? I like the AE Presidio, for example, which is just a touch sleeker and a step up from a rounder or boxier toe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:41 pm 

Topsider wrote:
I like #1, and would probably wear them. They're definitely a bit on the dressy side. #2 and #3 seem too fashion-forward, more of an homage to the penny loafer than the "real deal," rather like a pair of low-rise khakis. They also strike me as neither dressy nor casual, which would make them harder to wear.
Thanks! I think the weird position they occupy in terms of formality is part of why I'm interested in them, but it might be that I'm just into them because they're interesting.
Ensiferous wrote:
If you cover the split toe on the second option, they look fine. Our percipient group here would instantly see them as having been stylized, but most others would see a nice shoe. But for me with the split toe? No go. Way too many other fish in the sea, shoe-wise. And I like split toes where they belong.

My penny loafer alternatives, or more correctly, variations? I like the AE Presidio, for example, which is just a touch sleeker and a step up from a rounder or boxier toe.
Fair enough on the split toe. My least favorite part of the style – the advantage of the Weston is that it's a little less obtrusive than it is on the Meermin.

I hadn't thought of the Presidio. I've read bad reviews of the fit on styleforum, but a lot of the people on there can get a good fit in the AE 5 last, which means their feet may just be diametrically opposed to mine.

I kinda like this C&J style, which to my eye is almost midway between the Weston and the Presidio:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have the BB/Alden version of #1 and they are my favorite pair of shoes. I will wear them with suits, dressy trousers, cords, seersucker, and even pressed khakis to the office. They don't seem to look quite right to me paired with unpressed khakis and I will opt for Weejun style loafers or bucks for those occasions.

Personally, I am not a fan of option #2.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:45 pm 
Platinum Member

Of the pictured options in the initial post, I like option three.

I don't really like extended shaped lasts, or extra ornamentation on a simple shoe like a penny loafer. Something about the pointy shape and the full strap doesn't work for me, nor does the split toe on the other.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:37 pm 

The JM Weston 180 is fantastic (and I might even be persuaded to call it "trad"), but I'm not sure if the Meermin are a good enough facsimile. It's hard to tell, though, without better pictures.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Alden full-strap; the vamp is just too low, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:52 am 

This is how this particular cookie crumbled, thanks to eBay:

Blake-stitched, but on a dainite sole, and with a nice balance between clunkiness and classicism. I'm happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:39 am 
Platinum Member

I like them. I'd wear them, easily.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:12 pm 
Platinum Member

^Agreed. Very nice, YRR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:01 pm 

Ensiferous wrote:
^Agreed. Very nice, YRR.
Patrick wrote:
I like them. I'd wear them, easily.
Thanks! They scratched the itch, though of course we ended up with the wrong weather for them.

And I filled the "calf shoe for sportcoats" niche with an interesting pair of Peal half-brogue single monks in a trade on another forum. With a little luck, they'll work well.