Post subject: Bill's Brouhaha
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It appears that the mother ship has already held a funeral for them. I haven't had any issues and have bought half a dozen pair of pants from them during their various sales since black Friday including another two pair today.

Has anyone here actually experienced a disruption of any kind?

Post subject: Re: Bill's Brouhaha
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:57 pm 
Platinum Member

I placed an order during the sale in late November, and still haven't received it. My e-mail to customer service earlier this week has gone unanswered.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Topsider wrote:
I placed an order during the sale in late November, and still haven't received it. My e-mail to customer service earlier this week has gone unanswered.
I've heard that they're severely backed up on emails, but those who called were able to get updates or cancel their orders.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:25 pm 
Platinum Member

I called about my Dec. 4 order for a status update and was immediately placed on hold for the next available representative. I hung up after waiting 20 minutes. At least I got a recording this time, so that's an improvement.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think all signs point to significant problems at Bills. I'd be genuinely surprised if the company continues to offer USA-made khakis in 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow. I thought it was a lot of rumor and nonsense over there. I've gotten about half my orders so far - in about the time I guess I'd expect them. Maybe today's order will be the exception (it would serve me right for buying navy khakis).

To the contrary, though, I'd be surprised if Bills stopped making its khakis in the USA. My understanding is that they've been purchased by private equity and will likely revamp their supply chain to lower their costs. Whether that'll be taken in profit or used to make at least some items more competitive, who knows, but it seems unlikely that it's being sold for its branding.

My own company is undergoing a similar "takeover" and we're also dealing with the same sorts of supply issues. They've sacked most of our regional executives and stopped payment to vendors to renegotiate. Pretty standard - if inconvenient - stuff.

Silly to do it around the holidays, but I'd assume they'll be back to business in a few months.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:14 pm 

I hope you are right, Trip. I ordered a pair of chamois cloth M2s when the sale was announced, but before everyone was worried about the future of Bills. Although the AAAT chatter left me concerned that the trousers would never arrive, they did, cuffed and all. It took a bit longer than usual, but they got here.

The prices on their non-pants items always struck me as a bit unreasonable. Their shetlands are listed on their Web site at $225, regular price. Why wouldn't I get a shetland from O'Connell's or the Andover Shop instead? They're less expensive. And the O'Connell's shetlands come in more colors and have the extra benefit of chest sizing.