Post subject: Blame it on the Suit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:14 pm 
Platinum Member

As someone who earns a living as a writer (albeit not for television) this article about wearing clothing that befits the profession is quite interesting. I'm not sure I'd opt for the herd mentality dressing like my peers if I were in this situation.

http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2013/ ... eas/nexus/

Post subject: Re: Blame it on the Suit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:45 pm 
Platinum Member

I can always spot the non-conformists. They all dress the same.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As (probably) the only member of this group who lives in that same very small part of the Earth where most television writers live, there is another side to this story.

All of us (even writers) sometimes have to go out into the world around us. Profiling works both ways. The police look for people who look like criminals. People who work in shops, restaurants, hotels, banks, and other similar places still look for people who look like the current version on the Victorian silk hat or corset wearers.

When I go out wearing a tie and jacket, everyone rushes to help me.

The ATM machine spews out $20.00 bills, so I have to go into the bank to get change. When I am standing in line behind a gaggle of people dressed like television writers, someone in a suit and tie always pops out of an office to ask if they can help me. I leave the bank with my change while all the clowns in writer costumes are still waiting in line.

When I go into a restaurant, I can always get whatever table I want without waiting, even if there are people wearing writer outfits waiting.

This happens everyplace that I go. Wearing a jacket and a tie makes life out in the world very easy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:03 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrick wrote:
I can always spot the non-conformists. They all dress the same.
Darn right. Very quote-worthy.

I went into a coffee shop at 7:15am and every male & female in there was wearing black. Either tight jeans or yoga pants. Black shoes. Black shirts. Black puffy jackets. It was like a freakin' undertakers convention. I previously thought I was in a very muted rig, but suddenly felt like I was in full force GTH colors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:01 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrick, your comment is spot-on. It reminds me of a sociology class I took as an undergraduate, when the professor pointed out that all the non-comformist "hippies" shared similar dress.

Roycru, I just knew you'd offer some comments, based on your proximity to the TV writers!