Post subject: The Importance of Being Mended
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:32 am 
Platinum Member

I was wondering what guidelines the members follow in terms of mending clothing or when to excise an item from the closet.

My sense of the Ivy Style aesthetic is that a certain amount of wear on a garment is something to embrace. Instead of discarding a sweater with a hole, you have it darned--maybe several times. Frayed pant or shirt cuffs are acceptable, preferable even. Found a hole in your tweed jacket? No problem, keep on wearing it. Or if that hole's at the elbow, get a couple elbow patches and wear it another 20 years.

So where do you guys draw the line? How "worn" does an item have to be before you donate or otherwise discard it? How do you feel about wearing an item with a mended hole or two (or three)? If you're a thrifter, what type of wear on an item is acceptable, and how much will discourage you from bringing it home?

I suspect a lot of these decisions come down to personal preference. But there may also be some commonalities we share.

Post subject: Re: The Importance of Being Mended
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So long as it still fits I've never given up a garment to wear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:51 pm 
Platinum Member

Gamma - I can't describe the line, but I know it when I see it. However, I don't discard. I move the item from work to casual and when it gets worse to gardening. At some point the item magically breaks down completely and disappears back from which it came.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:05 pm 
Platinum Member

I would say that the line is murky and has something to do with sentimentality (did I wear it to something important? or have I had it forever?) and the quality and current availability of the item.

For example, I would be quick to flip the worn collar of a vintage Brooks unlined OCBD, but would be equally as quick to demote a worn out Lands End shirt.

That being said, I haven't donated or sold anything lately because anything that gets demoted has gone to my folks second home in the rural VT. I call it my 'Country Wear Collection,' every time I visit it's like I have a whole new wardrobe and I don't really have to pack anything for the trip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:49 pm 

On the thrifting side, if I like something, anything short of major, obvious wear (or a hole, or a stain) is no issue, but if I don't like something, then I get pickier about condition. I'm donating a fair bit of stuff with plenty of life yet, but I own far too much stuff right now, and I'm getting rid of stuff that's basically junk.

I have shirts with holes in them, but not holes anybody but me would notice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:14 pm 
Platinum Member

With casual attire, I don't mind a little bit of fraying or even a small hole, as long as the item was high-quality originally (e.g, BB OCBDs, Bills khakis, etc.) I tend to agree with leisureclass that lower-quality items will more likely be cast off once they're past their prime.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love my OCBDs with frayed collars and cuffs. I have two shirts on which the collar has been turned several years ago and they are still in rotation because the fabric is so incredibly soft. I would not wear these shirts or their frayed khaki counterparts to work or out to dinner, but will wear them to run errands or around the house.