Post subject: Ralph Lauren to Step Down as CEO, Names Old Navy Head...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:33 pm 

Ralph Lauren said it has hired Stefan Larsson, the global president of Gap's Old Navy division, as its chief executive, putting in motion a succession plan for one of fashion's biggest companies.

Ralph Lauren, who will turn 76 on Oct. 14, has been the chief executive and lead designer of his namesake company since he founded it 48 years ago and built it into a global luxury brand. While handing over operational duties, Mr. Lauren will remain as executive chairman and chief creative officer.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ralph-laure ... 1443557902

Post subject: Re: Ralph Lauren to Step Down as CEO, Names Old Navy Head...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I might be one of the only members here who cares - or whose wardrobe is (or at least was) principally based on RL offerings.

Since a total revamp of their labels has been underway (the new blue and yellow label being the most visible change for some) I've found almost nothing I can wear. Even the salespeople at the Newbury Street store see issues with the overly slim offerings. I wear a 42 or 44 and have had to go up to a 48 in some instances to fasten the middle button and by that point the shoulders are a mess. Collars have also gotten shorter and sleeve sizing is almost a thing of the past. They've tried to push their tailored prices down by using Coreliani's factory in (insert some not-italy country here), but they've also ditched the classic fits like Polo I, II, & IV. I've now been forced to hunt eBay if I want to wear their duds.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Very disappointing to read your report Trip. I have an older Polo jacket and two suits which have a wonderful shoulders and a nice fit. I have not visited my local Polo store since the changes were announced and, based upon your report, I probably will not do so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:20 pm 
Platinum Member

Trip English wrote:
Collars have also gotten shorter
Maybe under the Old Navy guy collars will go away completely and graphic t-shirts and sweats will be the new RL thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:18 pm 

Trip, have you tried the new "Standard Fit" shirts? If you have, I'm curious what you think about 'em.

I grabbed one of these ($18.xx plus tax after GIVE15 code, good until 10/4; free shipping with Shoprunner) recently and the collar points are 3.25 (I asked PRL for the measurement before I purchased). The buttons could be placed slightly higher, but overall, the collar roll isn't bad for a lined button-down. "Standard fit" seems slightly roomier than BB Regent, but not quite as big as their traditional fit. Overall, I was pretty pleased, given the sale price.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not a fan, honestly. The fabrics that I've found both at the RL store on Newbury Street and in dept stores is consistently of a lower quality (thinner, crispier, etc) than they used to be. They've also seemed to heavily favor button downs only with pony logos on the chests. For years I could find plenty of spread collars and never a pony when it was numerically sized.

Basically I'd burnt a lot of fuel over the years trying to explain to folks that Polo was more than what they saw at Macy's and that Blue Label contained some incredible tailoring, ties, shirting, etc. Now it's all about what you see in Macy's.