Post subject: Brooks Brothers Own Make
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sometimes I think that maybe the sack jacket in my head never really existed. It's only when I find the odd BrooksTweed in a thrift store that I'm reassured that - yes - there was a soft shoulder on these jackets.

I kill time sometimes at the Brooks Brothers on Newbury Street and found some jackets that looked like some "straight from the archives" reproductions of sacks past. They even had the two-button cuffs.

I don't think I could have found a worse fit if I looked for the most made-up sounding Italian name at TJ Maxx. The shoulders were laughably padded and stuck out in a way that made modern Press feel like a bath robe. I couldn't figure out who the target audience was for this type of reissue if not "us" and I can't imagine any of us putting one of these jackets on and doing anything but grimacing.

Just sort of a rant, I guess, as it seems like the sack suit might really become a relic in the next ten years. If no one with a big name can put out a decent version of it it doesn't seem likely to persist much longer.

Post subject: Re: Brooks Brothers Own Make
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 pm 
Platinum Member

That's disappointing to hear, especially since one of the "Own Make" Harris Tweed jackets caught my eye. I was under the impression that the "Own Make" line was straight from the BB archives.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I tried on their Own Make sportcoat from this summer. Nice construction but I also found it too wide in the shoulders for the chest. I expect that this goes along with the tight/skinny look that is everywhere these days. This even affects their latest Madison cut jackets which are almost too tight for me in a few places when the chest fits properly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:52 pm 
Platinum Member

The shoulder (by Brooks and many others) existed nearly 100 years ago:

It even existed 60 years ago:

And 50 years ago:

But then…. IT happened. They killed it.

So only the vintage artifacts remain.

Getting what you want isn't a problem today. You can get a mobile phone that can call, text, email, surf the web, take phots & videos, run banking apps, play stupid games…

It is not getting what you don't want that is the problem.

Like wide, padded jacket shoulders. Apparently we are going to get them. And like it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Very disappointing to read this report. OCBD had a nice write up on his blog about the fall Own Make offerings and the pictures looked promising on fit, especially the shoulders.