Post subject: Re: Khaki Leg Line
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does my heart good to hear if from the master. I may have to take a peak at these Press Poplins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thought I'd give a little update as I've found some success in resolving my dilemma.

Turns out the best khaki I've ever put on is the LL.Bean classic fit. These guys are $39 a pop, high rise, tapered leg, and keep a leg line without seeming like they're woven with NASA fibers. I picked up another 2 pair to add to my pilot pair and they're going to be my go-tos. I dare say they're the closest thing I've found to the collegiate cut of all the brands I've tried since the leg taper is the nicest.

In exhausting my options I had an opportunity to try on the most recent of the bi-annual Duck Head relaunches and they felt like a pair of J.Crew khakis. Poor product for a similar price to Bills and Jack Donnelly's.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm 
Platinum Member

Trip English wrote:
Thought I'd give a little update as I've found some success in resolving my dilemma.

Turns out the best khaki I've ever put on is the LL.Bean classic fit. These guys are $39 a pop, high rise, tapered leg, and keep a leg line without seeming like they're woven with NASA fibers. I picked up another 2 pair to add to my pilot pair and they're going to be my go-tos. I dare say they're the closest thing I've found to the collegiate cut of all the brands I've tried since the leg taper is the nicest.

In exhausting my options I had an opportunity to try on the most recent of the bi-annual Duck Head relaunches and they felt like a pair of J.Crew khakis. Poor product for a similar price to Bills and Jack Donnelly's.
Interesting. Which pair, Double L?

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yup!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/22821?fe ... lain-front

Wearing them now. Still very happy. For $39 you can't go wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:10 pm 
Platinum Member

Speas wrote:
I tried the Chem-Trousers® once and they frayed horribly at the hem. Perhaps a solution would be to buy them long and cuff them, eliminating the fused end. I also recall that the perma-crease faded due to friction in the washer leaving a light colored stripe down the leg front and back.
Bumping. With the recent demise of Bills Khakis, I figure some of us will be searching for an alternative.

For me, "chem trousers" are a no-go, for the reasons mentioned by Speas above. I've tried non-iron pants from L.L. Bean, Brooks Brothers, and Lands' End, and every pair suffered from premature fraying at the hems and fading along the "perma-crease."

I still prefer all-cotton khakis, saggy knees and all. However, if you really need to look crisp, it's hard to beat a poly-cotton blend (as suggested by Billax). For summer-weight poplins, a blend is pretty much the only option, unless you want to look like a wrinkled mess by the end of the day.

And then, there's Cramerton cloth, the fabric specified by the U.S. Army for the original WWII G.I. khakis. IMO, this may be the best option of all, as it seems to resist wrinkling due to some combination of weave and heft, and holds a crease quite well. Various manufacturers have produced pants using this fabric over the years, but a consistent source remains elusive.