Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 934 Next
 Post subject: Re:The Official Thrift Store Find Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hadn't been to the thrift store in a while and spring break seemed like as good a time as any. Warning: all the pictures are pretty terrible. Sorry.

First up: a Woolrich Woolen Mills heavy cotton shirt. I'll probably wear it as a shirt-jacket type deal next winter (or if it ever gets colder before summer). I understand that WWM is pretty expensive stuff, so not bad for a buck on sale.

Second: A PRL polo shirt. Nothing special, but I recently got a purple PRL polo that I really enjoy.

And the best for last: Green BB "346" (bad new kind) seersucker shorts. I'm not too concerned about the quality since these are definitely not an every-day (or week) wear item. One of the coolest things I've found at a thrift-store. I'm looking forward to wearing these with a white BB OCBD and sockless Weejuns for that "Take Ivy" look.

Conor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:53 pm 
$
$

St Vinnie's is moving so everything is half off...picked up a London Fog Mac for $2.50 and some old (good) Dexter longwings for $1.00. Big near miss of the day was a BB shawl collar tuxedo that was too small and upon closer inspection, pretty trashed to boot.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

When it rains, it pours (literally and figuratively).

Conor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:13 pm 

Conor,

You should have picked up the Bills and put them on the thrift store at AAAT. I assume you could have made a few bucks and someone would have been more than happy to purchase them. What size were they by the way?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

CT, yes I am regretting that. They were size 38. I might have to swing by Monday and see if they're still there.

Conor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:59 pm 

It's been a really good month for dress shirts.

ImageImageImage
Top: Brooks, 346, etc. NON-non-irons.
Middle: Brooks, 346, etc. non-irons.
Bottom: Joe Bank traveler and regular.

All Goodwilled.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:58 pm 

The Dean of the Library at Winthrop U and a very well dressed parishioner gave my name to a local Tom James salesman. He called me 15 minutes after our appointment time to say he had a customer that wouldn't stop buying things. I didn't intend to buy anything, so I didn't make him feel bad. But I also didn't wait around for him. Instead, swung by the thrift. And can't believe how much better spent my $25 was there than much more for far less with TJ.

From the Charlotte Assistance League Thrift this afternoon:

The two BB ties had $70 tags still on them. $1.50/each.

A pink PRL short sleeve and a couple of belts.

A fun two-pocket short sleeve vintage Joe Bank MITUSA shirt. Wife says it's old man.

Some Nautica chinos. Hard to find plain-fronts at the thrift in my experience. These fit perfectly.

And yesterday at the Charlotte Junior League Wearhouse. I almost bought half a dozen pair of AE's to try to sell online, but didn't think it worth the hassle at present.

Picked these up for $15. Pretty great shape for that price.

If anyone wears a 7.5 (D, I think?), there was a fantastic pair of AEs there I should tell you about.

A good haul, I'd say.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:33 am 
Platinum Member

OK, Churchman, now prepare for the coming Thrift Drought. These things are highly cyclical. A plague of pleated Dockers, all two inches too long in the inseam so even for a lark...

Black duckbills, cracked Bostonians that never got within 100 miles of Beacon Hill, and miles of t-shirts bearing clever legends such as "Hollister Athletic Club" and "I Came All the Way to the Vatican and All I Got Was This Lousy Sanctified T-shirt!"

This pair of no-name pennies smiled up at me yesterday from a shelf full of the (used) moon boots that pass as sneakers in these lax post-modern times.

They are clean inside - owner must have been a sock guy - and definitely worn elsewhere. Two bucks.

Cheap calfskin, even beat to hell, is sooo much nicer to the touch and eye than new, crummy corrected grain.

Does the Biltrite sole company still exist? That would offer a clue as to the age and origin of these.

Which fit just fine. I am going to have to do another installment of The Great Loafer Hunt on Ye Blog with all these recent pickups.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^Biltrite is a recent resole heel. I think I have them on a pair of my shoes.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, I'm back from Charleston (we actually stayed in Isle of Palms) and it was great. Ben Silver and Dumas were great, but I didn't buy anything there. I did hit up a thrift store and got some great stuff.

(Missing are two shirts: one Gant tattersall and one J. Crew)

A beat up pair of AE Leeds. They are in rough shape, but they will be good for beater shoes.

An old (I assume from the label, which I had never seen before) BB tan seersucker suit - 3/2 sack. Boy was I excited when I found it (and found that it fit).

Then today I stopped by a local thrift store on a whim (it's on the way home) and found these:

A 3/2 sack Corbin suit (mis-pressed into a true 3 btn.) This is my third Corbin sack.

And seven (7) cotton madras ties.

Bring on the drought.

Conor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

redmanca wrote:

And seven (7) cotton madras ties.
Wow!

Who is the maker?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jordan,

Five are Don Loper, one is Brent's, and one is unlabeled.

Conor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:50 pm 
Platinum Member

Scooped a few ties today, with interesting twists:

I could have sworn The Andover Shop was in Andover, and Boston. Did they hire out their label for a local shop?

Which was Robert Darden's Andover Shop? Defunct since late 70s - early 80s, my spies tell me.

And are the pink elephants a subtle form of political commentary?

William F. Buckley's home town was Sharon. It's a safe bet he belonged to the Sharon Country Club.

Even if he didn't, you'd think an outfit as snooty as that could afford a better commemorative tie. Design's fine, but the fabric -

Or maybe they figured the only guy tacky enough to actually wear the thing would be some thrift shop prole.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

redmanca wrote:
Jordan,

Five are Don Loper, one is Brent's, and one is unlabeled.

Conor
And as an astute commentator on my blog pointed out, tie number one is the same tie as number six. Oh well.

Nice ties Patrick.

Conor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:51 pm 

Man, Patrick really gets great hauls. In contrast, the offerings at the Jersey City Salvation Army are dismal. In the event a doomsday scenario occurs and all that survives is the Jersey City Salvation Army, future inhabitants of the planet will think primitive earthlings wore soup-stained ties and Jos. A. Bank factory reject olive suits.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 934 Next