Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 834 Next
 Post subject: Re:The Official Thrift Store Find Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am 

The thrift gods smiled yesterday!

The thrift store I go to every couple of weeks is huge, and so I've developed a method of going through it quickly: Sports coats first (flipping through the racks quickly to find tweeds I like, then checking makers, then size/trying on), then a similar procedure for shirts, then coats, then finally the children's books (not for me!)

First find was a brown herringbone Harris tweed that fit perfectly, for $7 with 25% off. (This might be a thrift store, but that doesn't stop me visiting only when it's having its weekly sales--I am *that* thrifty!) So, it's already a succesful visit. Nothing in the shirts apart from a checked RL which was rather nice, but $9 and full price (who are they kidding, I thought.. I'll leave this for the novices!), then to the coats. Not much--the selection of trenchcoats was decent, but nothing special, and I already have three, including a great lined BB from tonylumpkin on the thrift exchange--until I got to the wool coats, where there was a great peacoat. A great Schott peacoat. In terrific condition! And--in my size! Alas, it was full price, and I have to confess that did cause me to pause, until I reminded myself that $12 really *isn't* that expensive for something I've been looking for for years....

On my way out after picking up a couple of children's books I noticed a stack of old briefcases and backpacks, and decided to flip through them quickly. Most were nylon and promotional give-away junk, but one looked like leather, and was... a very, very nice black Coach underarm case from days when Coach was made in the USA. It needs a polish (or whatever one does with leather cases that need a clean), but for $6 well worth it. Alas, full price again, I'm afraid...

When I checked out, the clerk who knows my habits well was kind enough to note that two of the things I was buying were still full-price, just in case I'd mixed up their Byzantine labeling system! She was surprised when I said that was fine.... this time!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:56 am 
Platinum Member

I noted this elsewhere, but yesterday I found a mid-grey flannel three-piece Golden Fleece sack at my favorite shop. Jacket and vest fit fine; trousers are going to have to come in a bit, but if I cinch my belt I can wear it tomorrow.

$40. (From the "Posh" section. Goes to provide medical assistance to folks who can't afford it in a four-county, thee-state region.)

Photos eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:20 pm 

I popped into the local Salvation Army Saturday. I was thumbing through the coats when I noticed a Barbour pin on a jacket. I picked up a perfect Barbour Bedale in Navy for $20. Nothing is wrong with it, nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:43 pm 
$
$

^GREAT score!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

^ It was your size?

Lucky dog.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:54 pm 

Duck wrote:
I popped into the local Salvation Army Saturday. I was thumbing through the coats when I noticed a Barbour pin on a jacket. I picked up a perfect Barbour Bedale in Navy for $20. Nothing is wrong with it, nothing.
Fantastic--congratulations!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 pm 

It was my size. I will take pictures of it tonight, I have a few questions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:51 pm 

Great find, Duck.

I have had some relatively good luck lately - just some odds and ends.

I did come across something really odd yesterday - I noticed the "Titleist" and upon closer inspection, it has the UGA Golf logo on the side, with David Love III autograph on the bill. The hat still has the Titleist price tag/sticker under the bill. I paid $1.49.

Davis Love III has always been one of my favorite golfers, and I am a HUGE UGA fan. DL3 went to UNC, so this is pretty unique.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:48 pm 
$
$

I had yet another cordovan near miss last night...stopped into a vintage shop (you know the place that buys something at a thrift store for $5 and marks it up to $50) when I spotted a stash of men's shoes in the back. A couple pair of loafers, some white bucks and some burgundy tassel loafers in the way back. Hmm...looks like shell, flip is over to see the AE shell heel and then notice it's in my size! Tried to slip into them, but no dice, it's a B width which is just too small for me. They were in good shape, but being tassel loafers, I probably wouldn't have worn them much anyway so on the bright side, I "saved" $50 ;)

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:14 am 

vwguy wrote:
I had yet another cordovan near miss last night...stopped into a vintage shop (you know the place that buys something at a thrift store for $5 and marks it up to $50) when I spotted a stash of men's shoes in the back. A couple pair of loafers, some white bucks and some burgundy tassel loafers in the way back. Hmm...looks like shell, flip is over to see the AE shell heel and then notice it's in my size! Tried to slip into them, but no dice, it's a B width which is just too small for me. They were in good shape, but being tassel loafers, I probably wouldn't have worn them much anyway so on the bright side, I "saved" $50 ;)

Brian
Hey Brian - may I ask what size you wear? (crossing fingers for a 9 or 9.5...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 pm 
$
$

Georgia wrote:

Hey Brian - may I ask what size you wear? (crossing fingers for a 9 or 9.5...)
9.5 it is! The model was an AE Saratoga, I can do a C width, but these were *very* tight for me both in length and width.

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Over the weekend I found a navy Huntington 3 patch flannel sack blazer. I have been looking for one of these, literally, for YEARS.

Pics to come...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 pm 

JordanW wrote:
Over the weekend I found a navy Huntington 3 patch flannel sack blazer. I have been looking for one of these, literally, for YEARS.

Pics to come...
Well done, Jordan! I'm interested in seeing the pictures...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

JordanW wrote:

Pics to come...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:06 pm 

^ Looks great, and congratulations. The patch pockets are perfect for the flannel.

Quest for the Holy Ale

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 834 Next