Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 128 29 30 31 3234 Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Thrift Store Find Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 pm 
Platinum Member

Ran across an unusual cache of good-quality navy blazers in one thrift store this afternoon. Among them was an older worsted 3R2 from J. Press, in my size, but it had a bit too much wear, and all of the buttons had been replaced (badly). Passed on that one. Also found a pretty much flawless Brooksease in Loro Piana wool ($649 retail), but - sadly - too large for me (probably a 44R). I bought that one to consign. The others, including a couple from Huntington and Hickey-Freeman, were either the wrong size, or had issues. Still, that was the largest number of nice blazers I've ever seen in one place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:59 pm 
Platinum Member

leisureclass wrote:

For awhile now, I've been kinda snobby about khakis. Who made them? Where? Quibbling over details of fit, getting every single pair cuffed and hemmed just right at the tailor. Then these showed up today, for all of one dollar at a thrift store. They're not slim enough for me to pass as a twenty something, nor are they baggy enough for me to be mistaken as an old fart, and with a simple self turn up at the hem they'll do just fine.

Oh, and they're Nautica.
Marine drill? Those are nice pants. I've seen several, but none in my size (that weren't beat to hell and back).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:42 am 
Platinum Member

Ha, I'm actually wearing them as we speak.

They do have a diagonal weave, but they're pretty lightweight though, so I don't think they're marine drill. That's heavy stuff right? Like cotton duck or something

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:23 pm 
Platinum Member

leisureclass wrote:
Ha, I'm actually wearing them as we speak.

They do have a diagonal weave, but they're pretty lightweight though, so I don't think they're marine drill. That's heavy stuff right? Like cotton duck or something
The Marine Drill is pretty heavy, similar to Cramerton cloth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:30 pm 
Platinum Member

Some good scores today! Found two cashmere sweaters (one vintage Brooks Brothers and one a Bloomingdale's in-house brand) for five bucks each, and some low-mileage Made in USA Weejuns in my size for six bucks. Also found a nice pair of cuffed Bills Khakis M2 (a size too small - those will go to eBay)* and a khaki poplin sportcoat by PRL for five bucks. My wife found a Waterford crystal bowl for three bucks (probably worth $100).

*Update: Well, I tried on the Bills Khakis that I thought were too small (34x30) and...they fit! They actually fit well. Yay, weight loss! The 41R tweed sportcoat from Scotland House in Williamsburg (new with tags for something like three bucks) that I thought was eBay fodder also fits. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:22 pm 
Platinum Member

Ecstasy: When you find a custom-made shirt from Proper Cloth (value=>$100) that fits you like a glove at Goodwill for three bucks. :D

Agony: When you find the name of a prominent local personal injury lawyer inside...:(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:26 pm 
Platinum Member

Found a brown corduroy sport coat from Brooks Brothers (3R2 sack, no less) in like-new condition that fits perfectly...size 40R! :-o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 am 
Platinum Member

^ I found the exact same thing yesterday, but in my size, what are the odds? Also a dress for the little one:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 pm 
Platinum Member

Not clothing, but I found two vintage Swiss Army wool blankets in MINT condition. The makers "signed" each blanket with their initials and the year. The one pictured is from 1944. The other one is from 1956.

I've since learned that the original Swiss Army blankets are very collectible and becoming scarce.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm 
Platinum Member

^ Great find!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not quite trad apart from being very very GTH, but I bought this woolrich shirt in goodwill today:

Hopefully Patrick isn't too jealous.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:52 pm 
Platinum Member

Found and acquired this mint letterman's cardigan. Fits perfectly. Love the buttons and the vintage tag.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:23 pm 
Platinum Member

Two recent finds, one of which I know will surely attract the attention of one of our gang (if he takes a peek in here).

I was not familiar with "Alpacuna" before finding this wonderful coat for a song.

The tie speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:00 pm 
Platinum Member

Straight from the heyday. Hook vent, too:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm 
Platinum Member

Found an Orvis WWII mechanic’s sweater today at Goodwill. I assumed it was vintage, but was surprised to learn that it’s still offered. I paid something less than $119 for it...

http://www.orvis.com/p/world-war-ii-mec ... eater/38x7

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 128 29 30 31 3234 Next