Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
 Post subject: Re: Tortoise frames
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pardon the scruffy appearance. Finally got around to grabbing the Woodstocks from Trapp. Better prices than Lenscrafters and much better service.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm 
Platinum Member

They look good! I definitely need to go to Trapp one of these days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:11 pm 

Those really say: LOOK AT ME!!! I AM WEARING GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little too intense for me...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm 
Platinum Member

EastVillageTrad wrote:
Those really say: LOOK AT ME!!! I AM WEARING GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little too intense for me...
They do make a statement. I think Trip can pull it off, though. Not sure I could. As vast a selection as Trapp carries, however, I'd be surprised if I didn't find something I liked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think with a closeup like that they look a little more intense than they really are. In reality they're practically identical to the ones I've worn for years, just a little better fit & finish and a stronger tortoise shell pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:26 pm 

Trip English wrote:

I think with a closeup like that they look a little more intense than they really are. In reality they're practically identical to the ones I've worn for years, just a little better fit & finish and a stronger tortoise shell pattern.

Right.

Still a little too:

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ha! I'd hope for I.M. Pei or Philip Johnson. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:29 pm 
Platinum Member

Trip English wrote:
Ha! I'd hope for I.M. Pei or Philip Johnson. :)

Trip, I'm loath to get into something as personal as glass frames, but here's Philip Johnson. He has a narrower, more angular, squarer jawed face, with a more aquiline nose than yours. In my – nearly useless – opinion, that face shape can more easily tolerate completely round lenses. Johnson softens his narrow face with his pair of glasses. Your face shape is more rounded and cherubic (apologies if you don't accept it as the compliment it is intended to be) and the extra roundness introduced by your frames may not be to your advantage. Of course, this is coming from someone whose facial outline would need radical surgery to look even passable with any frames, and would be at its absolute best only if completely wrapped in surgical tape!

My $0.02.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 pm 
Platinum Member

^ Not to pile on, but just curious: Is there a reason you avoid the usual P3 shape? Too obvious or something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 am 
Platinum Member

Trip - I actually like your frames. I could not pull them off, but on you I think that they look natural and cool. It may just be your overall nonchalance.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:53 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I appreciate the input.

As for P3s, I wore them for two frames in a row prior to these two round ones. I like them very much, actually. I'm sure I'll get another pair at some point. I never set out for the round frames, but I tried my previous pair on on a lark and fell in love with them. Since these are nearly dimensionally identical to the first pair they were an easy upgrade.

I've been toying with the idea of owning a few different frames at once and rotating depending on the attire or mood or whatever, but it seems like just one more decision I'd have to process. I've been actively trying to streamline my wardrobe to an eclectic sameness so that would blow the whole plan to smithereens.

That being said, having worn "interesting" glasses for a very long time I have never had a style that gets complimented so frequently. Almost every single person I interact with says something nice and lots of people ask where I bought them. That kind of feedback can be very persuasive! (-;

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 pm 
Platinum Member

Topsider wrote:
As far as the Miltzens go, I might try the smaller version (44mm) in tortoise. These are the 46mm. Also toying with the idea of trying the clear, but don't want to get too Andy Warhol.
Bump.

Just ordered a pair of Miltzens in crystal. We shall see...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ Interested to see how they turn out. I myself have been seriously considering a pair in crystal. I am in the midst of moving from the Pinton oval shape to the AA 406s (45 mm version). Supposed to be getting them back from the optician any day now. They are Paris Tortoise but I like to have a second (different) pair as well.

One of the frustrating things about buying glasses when you're nearsighted is that you can't truly see how the frames look on you until they're produced!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:10 pm 
Platinum Member

Mmm-kay. Whaddya think?

I saw a colleague of mine, who is an attorney, wearing a similar pair this past weekend (I'm pretty sure his were AA 406, however) and figured I'd give crystal a try.

My first impression was that they're a bit heavy. They have something of a "safety glasses" look. I like the crystal, though. A lighter frame might be better. I'm wondering if maybe I should give the AA 406 another try.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:09 pm 

Personally, I think they suit you very well. I like them better than the thin wire ones you've posted. I think the same frame in dark plastic would be too heavy looking, but these are very good -- like a lot of the attire you post, they're classic without being staid.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next