Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next
 Post subject: Re: Tortoise frames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:10 pm 
Platinum Member

And now, for something completely different.

Randolph Engineering P3 frames, in gold, with skull temples. Issued to Navy submariners, from what I've heard. Forty bucks on eBay. If I don't like them as glasses, I can always use them as sunglasses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:17 pm 
$
$

^ Way back in the '80s (and before, I suppose) something like that was issued for wear under oxygen breathing apparatuses, (apparati?) or OBAs. All submariners were required to be fitted for OBAs, I seem to remember, so they all got then instead of the black birth control glasses. The ones in those days had wire wrap-around temples. And that was the point; the thin wire temples did not interfere with the seal of the rubber mask against the side of the face. My first glasses, which came into my life during my Navy active duty days, were those.

Speaking of glasses, the other day the girl at the laundry counter says to me "I looooove your glasses". I thanked her for the compliment, and then she continued "I just love eccentric glasses". Eccentric. Super.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 pm 
Platinum Member

Yep. Found this pic online. The glasses were described as "OBA glasses." I'm not sure I'd like the wire temples, so I ordered the skull type instead.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:56 am 
Platinum Member

Another option, of course, is the Shuron Ronstrong. I've read that this frame was issued to soldiers during WWII, so it appears that the wire-rimmed P3 has a long military history.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They're a little pricey, but the Oliver Peoples MP2 are a wire-rim P3 shape with some tortoise detailing. I'm looking forward to trying them on in the city. My wife is worried that I don't have a backup pair so I'm authorized to get something as an alternate. I haven't really found a P3 shape that works on my face except for the Gregory Peck, but they don't currently come in the color I want (Japanese tortoise as it's usually called).

http://www.oliverpeoples.com/online-bou ... /mp-3.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The gent in the picture wearing the OBA glasses looks a bit like Cruiser.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That reminds me, I have to snag some black low-top Reeboks. I've got a cousin's wedding coming up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 pm 
Platinum Member

I'm not sorry to say that I missed out on the Cruiser debacle. That apparently happened during my voluntary hiatus from the Mothership.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:53 pm 

It still surprises me that he logs in regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 am 
Platinum Member

The RE P3s didn't look right on me, either, so they're listed on the AAAT sales forum.

I'm starting to become convinced that I won't like anything but rimless glasses at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

For anyone with the inclination to visit New York City, A.R. Trapp, which I believe has been mentioned several times here and/or on the mothership, has the most incredible selection of round & P3 shapes I've ever seen. All of which can me made in any color. The sheer variety of nuanced P3 iterations was astounding. I can't imagine that someone who was interested in these classic shapes wouldn't find something to fit them regardless of face shape, coloring, etc. The prices are also very reasonable with most of the frames around $250 with some hand-made models around $350. Lenses overnight for anything in stock. Worth a day trip perhaps?

These are three that I'm looking at. The round ones are nearly identical to what I wear now, but with a more lively tortoiseshell pattern. The bottom left ones are likely the P3s I'll pick up in the coming weeks. For price reference, left to right: $225, $349, $249.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:50 pm 
Platinum Member

I'm definitely going to Trapp the next time I'm in NYC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:20 pm 

Topsider wrote:
I'm definitely going to Trapp the next time I'm in NYC.
When you do, let me know. I'll buy you and the Mrs. a drink at the Yale Club bar.

Also don't forget Meyrowitz & Dell on 44th St. which has just as many good p3 frames.

-EVT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:08 pm 
Platinum Member

^ You're on! :)

Meanwhile, this link keeps showing up on my Facebook page (along with the other advertisements). Anyone know anything about them?

http://eyeglass.com/brhamatose.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm 
$
$

Dead ringer for a 406. Better price though.
Topsider wrote:
^ You're on! :)

Meanwhile, this link keeps showing up on my Facebook page (along with the other advertisements). Anyone know anything about them?

http://eyeglass.com/brhamatose.html

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next