Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next
 Post subject: Re: Tortoise frames
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

TS, the Miltzen is one of my favorite P3 frame. It's very similar to the OP Gregory Peck. I like my P3s on the rounder side, though. I think that they're thick enough that they're a bit of a statement frame, but not to the extent that people would suspect you of artisanally curating something in the wilds of Brooklyn.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:52 pm 
Platinum Member

Got the Miltzens today. Trip's assessment is spot on. They are very nice glasses, well-made and nicely packaged and presented. However, they wear much larger than I'm looking for. I'm not crazy about the blonde color, either, and their tortoise is too dark. The search continues.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:51 pm 
Platinum Member

I dunno...I've been wearing them around the house today, and they're actually kinda growing on me.

Too much deja vu...?

Last edited by Topsider on Wed May 23, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not perfect. I think a little smaller would flatter your face a little more. I also agree with you on the color. It's both light & non-committal.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

But gosh I like that shape.

You may have mentioned it on the mother ship, but have you tried the OP Gregory Pecks? Their colors, IMO, are better and they seem less like "GLASSES!"

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:09 pm 
Platinum Member

There's an optician in Norfolk that carries OP. I tried on the O'Malley and Riley there. Wasn't bowled over by either. I'll have to see if they have the Peck.

As far as the Miltzens go, I might try the smaller version (44mm) in tortoise. These are the 46mm. Also toying with the idea of trying the clear, but don't want to get too Andy Warhol.

Last edited by Topsider on Wed May 23, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I found the O'Malley & Riley are siblings. The GP is a 1st cousin maybe. Very different character and what I think of as a more classic P3 shape. The O'M & Rileys have more in common with the AA 406s.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:43 pm 
$
$

Clear might work for you: don't think Warhol, think Wm Colby :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:52 pm 
Platinum Member

^ You might be right. Without overanalyzing it, I think maybe the reason why I'm having trouble liking myself in tortoise frames now that I've gone bald is that there's nothing else dark or contrasting to balance things out, only face and forehead. You just see the glasses. Or, as Trip said, "GLASSES!"

I suppose growing a beard would help, but I don't want to go there.

Clear frames may be worth a shot.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 pm 
$
$

I've got a very nice p3 pair made by Kala Eyeware, a California company: might be worth a look.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 pm 
Platinum Member

This just in: showed SWMBO some pics of the clear frames, and she thinks that I'd "look like an old man" in them. It probably didn't help that a lot of the pics were of old men.

This is somebody who otherwise likes most of the stuff I wear, much of which could be considered "old mannish" by the average person.

*Sigh.* The search continues.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm 
$
$

I used to get that a lot, then I aged in to it :(

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 pm 
Platinum Member

Showed the pic of me in the Moscots to my Dad, and he said "Big glasses!"

Here's the dilemma. My eyes are fairly wide-set. I estimate my pupillary distance to approach 70mm. The average for men is around 63mm. I could have an optician measure it exactly, but the fact remains that my eyes are well-centered in the Moscots, which have a 46mm lens width and a 22mm bridge. That's a 68mm frame pupillary distance, which is pretty close to my actual pupillary distance. So, they fit. The Silhouette frames that I wear currently are also well-fitted, and match up pretty evenly with the Moscots in terms of lens width (seen photo below.)

So, as much as I'd like to think that I'd look better in a smaller P3 frame, it probably isn't going to work. I suppose I could look for a lighter-weight frame, or go for one that's a little more oval than round (like Sartre's Francois Pinton Passeport 24). However, like Trip, I really like the traditional P3 shape.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:09 pm 
Platinum Member

The Rambler wrote:
I used to get that a lot, then I aged in to it :(
:) So true!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:40 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next