Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
 Post subject: Re: Tortoise frames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I do think they look a bit massive. Honestly, other than the wire frames (which I like on you), the style I liked best on you was in your very first post, the AA 406s in 45 mm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:13 pm 
Platinum Member

I am with Sartre. I like your wire frames better or maybe I need to see those with a bowtie ;) I also think that a full body shot would be more helpful. Close-ups seem harder to judge.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:27 am 
Platinum Member

Yeah, I don't think these are going to be keepers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 pm 
Platinum Member

Let's try the AA 406 again... 47mm, this time in Amber Havana. What the hell...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:46 pm 
Platinum Member

The 406 still doesn't quite work.

Went back to the local optical shop today and tried on the Oliver Peoples O'Malley again, in BTC (brown tortoise). I'd originally written the O'Malley off as too expensive, but with VSP (my vision plan) it's not bad at all. Ordered and on the way. Pics to come. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:32 pm 
Platinum Member

Sartre wrote:
I am in the midst of moving from the Pinton oval shape to the AA 406s (45 mm version). Supposed to be getting them back from the optician any day now.
Be sure to post pics! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Any thoughts on the Persol brand?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:14 pm 
Platinum Member

BenMN wrote:
Any thoughts on the Persol brand?
I've always associated Persol more with sunglasses than regular eyeglasses, although I know they make those, too. I tend to think of them as more of a fashion brand, although some of their styles are fairly conservative and classic. The flashy metal detail on most of their temples is enough to keep me away, personally.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:21 pm 
Platinum Member

Here are the AA 406 in Amber Havana, 47mm. I think these are actually pretty good, but I liked the OP O'Malley just a little bit more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The example you posted is similar to the ones I was thinking about. The hinges make me nervous- those thin vertical silver bars farther back from the flash detail are hinges. Never seen anything like it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:29 am 
Platinum Member

BenMN wrote:
The example you posted is similar to the ones I was thinking about. The hinges make me nervous- those thin vertical silver bars farther back from the flash detail are hinges. Never seen anything like it.
Are you sure? I don't think I've ever handled a pair of Persol glasses personally, but the photos that I've seen make it appear that those vertical stripes are decorative, and the hinge is in the usual place. See below.

The Steve McQueen frame shown in the photo has extra hinges in the middle of the bridge and each temple in order to enable the glasses to fold up completely.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes, I am sure, but perhaps hinge was not the best choice of words. Flex points might be better. Those vertical stripes actually seperate the sections of acetate, and are there to allow outward flex, keeping the temple pieces snug.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 pm 
Platinum Member

BenMN wrote:
Yes, I am sure, but perhaps hinge was not the best choice of words. Flex points might be better. Those vertical stripes actually seperate the sections of acetate, and are there to allow outward flex, keeping the temple pieces snug.
Ah. They apparently call it "meflecto."

http://www.persol.com/usa/technology/te ... s/meflecto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, and the ones I saw did not have that shaft piece holding it all together... but I thought they looked nice, and the lady Assured me they have "never had a problem". We'll see. If I buy, I will post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:09 pm 
Platinum Member

Here are the O'Malley's, 45mm, color BTC. These are keepers. Forgive the peaked appearance…I have a nasty cold at the moment.

The O'Malley compares favorably to the AA 406 in most respects. For whatever reason, I needed a 47mm frame in the 406, but a 45mm in the O'Malley. The 406 is just a tad thicker and heavier. The BTC color in the O'Malley is less mottled and more uniformly brown colored than most of AA's darker tortoise shades. I see that OP has just come out with a "Sir" series of frames, which include the O'Malley, with a few small modifications, and in some new tortoise colors. They didn't have those in the store yet.

http://www.oliverpeoples.com/gallery/the-sir-series

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next