Post subject: Panic can be fun and useful!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:44 am 
Platinum Member

Taking this day by day but a lot of things I normally cover for my paper are being cancelled.

Not to mention our annual office party and dinner.

And as it's just shy of decent fishing weather, I am going to:

1. Clean the hell out of everything.

2. Using the "wear it in the last year or ditch it" rule, taking a cleaver to the closets. (Does not include formal wear, spectator shoes, and ties.)

3. There are a whole lot of shoes here that would benefit from a nice shot of conditioner and/or polish.

4. And if I get really bored I'll use the eight rolls of toilet paper I had to buy yesterday because the store was out of single rolls and see if I can work up some sort of indoor game with them.

Post subject: Re: Panic can be fun and useful!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:33 am 
Platinum Member

Pretty much everything is closed down around here except grocery store, drug store, post office. Bank drive-thru only. A few retail establishments still open -- specialty pet food, auto parts.

Garden center is supposedly going to open for season on Saturday, I'll believe it when I see it.

Restaurants are takeout/delivery only.

Town halls are staffed but no public allowed in/ public allowed in sparingly.

Schools closed, public and private.

I was getting pretty hairy and was able to slide into a salon last week on short notice. On the theory, subsequently proved correct, that haircutters would be shut down, I got the Number Two buzzer cut, so I should be good for three months.

I'll be stopping by Town Hall to see if they need help bringing meals or supplies to the seasoned citizens, of whom we have many.

The Lakeville Journal is being produced from afar. In my case this is not too far off from my usual routine; I generally only go to the office on production days, Monday and Tuesday. (Paper is on newsstands Wednesdays; official publication date is Thursday.)

Today being somewhat clement I am going to go fishing. This is an excellent sport for the socially distant.

I put on a jacket and tie yesterday purely for morale-building purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:18 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrick wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:33 am
I was getting pretty hairy and was able to slide into a salon last week on short notice. On the theory, subsequently proved correct, that haircutters would be shut down, I got the Number Two buzzer cut, so I should be good for three months.
I did the same a few days ago, and with same motivation.

I chickened out and went with the #3 clipper blade on the back & sides, left a bit longer on top with scissors.

Summer time I usually get #2 clipper blade back & sides though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:11 am 
Platinum Member

From Currier and Ives country:

Item: The state legislature isn't doing much of anything. Considering the sort of things they do in normal times, this must be viewed as a silver lining. At least for a little while.

Item: Our governor, a rich guy named Ned Lamont, who prior to his election had only a failed U.S. Senate campaign on his political resume, is doing a pretty good job staying on top of this thing. Connecticut is almost completely decentralized. We don't have county government at all. What we do have are 169 municipalities, and most of the smaller ones operate on the town meeting form of government, which requires meetings. Lots of meetings. The gov's recent spate of executive orders allows towns to skip most of the process and gives first selectmen and mayors extraordinary authority to keep things running. This in turn means that what meetings do occur happen on Zoom. I reported on my first Zoom meeting last night. It was much quicker than the usual in person meeting, and I could smoke a cigar during it. This is also a silver lining.

Item: Many of our towns have a large number of summer residents, usually well-heeled and from New York City (almost always Manhattan). For the most part they arrive around Memorial Day, leave around Labor Day and pay plenty in taxes without asking for much in return from town government (ie. they don't have their children in the schools). Most year-rounders recognize this. Peace and tranquility reigns.

But in these tense times the summer people are fleeing NYC for their country estates, and the locals resent it. The weekenders in turn resent the resentment, and the whole thing plays out on social media. Social media brings out the worst in people and since the governor is throwing his weight around, I suggest he either ban social media (impossible) or give town officials the authority to set up stocks on the town Green and put the most obnoxious people in them. Of course this solution would run afoul of the guidelines about social distancing but hey -- necessity is the mother of invention.

Item: The gov has opened the inland fishing season early (supposed to open April 11). The stated reason was to avoid the usual Opening Day crowds, but I suspect the real reason was to help relieve the stir-craziness that is bubbling up from the population at large. Since I live minutes from several streams, rivers, ponds and lakes, I am all for this. Even "Ancient Aliens" loses its allure after a while, and when the most exciting part of the day is going to bed, something has to give.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:50 pm 
Platinum Member

Sounds like you have the right attitude. Wish I knew how to fly fish! For now, I'm fishing for cononavirus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:42 am 
Platinum Member

Gov moved start of regular season up to yesterday, would have been April 11. State stocked a week ago I think. They were podding up. Caddis coming off but they ignored it. (Must have missed that class at hatchery.) Caught about 25, all deep. Hooked one monstrous rainbow, not a stocker. Alas 6.5 foot 3 weight was not up to task. I know, poor workman who blames his tools, but the 10 foot rod I was using earlier would have been better. Some kids came out as I was leaving with spinning rods. Almost normal, except I was concerned they were not practicing social distance. Maybe they are brothers.