Post subject: What is your regimen for cleaning thrifted clothes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:29 pm 

I recently started picking up quality jackets and shirts from the local Goodwill stores and was wondering what is your method of cleaning and sanitizing your items. Sport coats go to the cleaners, but what about shirts? The shirts I first wash on hot then into the dryer. Then I give them another wash on warm and hang dry. I have been adding a bit of Lysol disinfectant to the first wash, but the smell of it is pretty strong and bad.

So, how do you clean your thrift store items?

Post subject: Re: What is your regimen for cleaning thrifted clothes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:00 pm 
Platinum Member

I'm pretty picky about condition to begin with, so I usually just wash everything normally. Dry-cleanable stuff goes to the cleaners.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:41 am 
Platinum Member

^ What he said, except I gave up on dry cleaners after my local one destroyed my cream linen J Press jacket. I wouldn't trust them to clean a welcome mat.

It occurs to me that I haven't even stepped foot, much less bought anything, at the thrift shop and it's raining today and I have nothing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The items I can wash myself go into a warm/hot wash (depending on the color) with oxi-clean, vinegar, and detergent. I always hang dry shirts and chinos. I try to avoid drying things in the dryer as much as possible.

The tailored stuff that needs to be dry-cleaned gets packed up in a couple grocery bags and thrown in the freezer until I can get to the dry-cleaners.

Although, I've passed on the last few jackets I've found because, like Patrick, my previously trustworthy cleaners have been screwing up the soft roll on my 3/2 sacks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 pm 

Topsider wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm pretty picky about condition to begin with, so I usually just wash everything normally. Dry-cleanable stuff goes to the cleaners.
Oh, I’m picky about condition as well, but as I just discovered, looks can be deceiving. Recently found three BB button downs (made overseas) but were in great condition and were only $2. Did my usual washes, hung dry and then started to iron. Once the steam hit the pits.........oh boy....the pungent odor of BO about knocked me out. Apparently the previous owner probably never wore an undershirt, which I always do. So, now I have the three shirts soaking in vinegar, which is supposed to neutralize the stench. When the shirts were dry, you could not small anything and there is no staining. Hopefully I can knock the smell out of the shirts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:47 pm 

Patrick wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:41 am
^ What he said, except I gave up on dry cleaners after my local one destroyed my cream linen J Press jacket. I wouldn't trust them to clean a welcome mat.

It occurs to me that I haven't even stepped foot, much less bought anything, at the thrift shop and it's raining today and I have nothing to do.
Patrick,
Hope you found something on your recent rainy day thrift excursion. So, if you don’t have jackets and suits dry cleaned, what is your method for cleaning those items? I found one cleaner that understood the 3/2 roll and I’m about to try out another. I always make sure they put a tag through the non functioning third button hole. So far, I’ve lucked out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:49 pm 

LeeLo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:52 am
The items I can wash myself go into a warm/hot wash (depending on the color) with oxi-clean, vinegar, and detergent. I always hang dry shirts and chinos. I try to avoid drying things in the dryer as much as possible.

The tailored stuff that needs to be dry-cleaned gets packed up in a couple grocery bags and thrown in the freezer until I can get to the dry-cleaners.

Although, I've passed on the last few jackets I've found because, like Patrick, my previously trustworthy cleaners have been screwing up the soft roll on my 3/2 sacks.
Sounds like my cleaning method. But now I’m concerned that my cleaners will screw up my sack jackets.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:49 pm 

Well, I found a deodorizing method to remove the underarm orders from the BB dress shirts I recently thrifted. I made a paste of baking soda and hot water and covered the inside pits of the shirt with the concoction and let sit for 15 or so minutes. I then placed the shirts in a bucket and poured in one gallon of white vinegar and filled the rest with hot water. I sprinkled some more baking soda and let the fluid fizz. Stirred the shirts to get the the vinegar mixed in and let sit on the deck overnight. Might be overkill, but I got rid of the stench completely. Ran an iron over the troubled areas and they smelled fresh. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:52 pm 
Platinum Member

Reddington wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:47 pm
Patrick wrote:

Patrick,
Hope you found something on your recent rainy day thrift excursion. So, if you don’t have jackets and suits dry cleaned, what is your method for cleaning those items? I found one cleaner that understood the 3/2 roll and I’m about to try out another. I always make sure they put a tag through the non functioning third button hole. So far, I’ve lucked out.
I have used the long-discontinued Whirlpool steamer for years. Also known as the Monolith.

But my latest one bit the dust, and is now collecting same until such time as I haul it over to the transfer station.

They do pop up on eBay fairly regularly but I am anticipating hard times ahead. Well, semi-hard. Moderately stiff. Mild unpleasantness. A temporary lack of ready cash. You get the idea.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

So I will make do with the old "back of the bathroom door while the shower is on" trick, augmented by a small handheld steamer, and vigorous brushing.

If I get into something serious, like mud or the blood of my enemies, I'll have to scout around and find a dry cleaner that knows his stuff. Apparently there is an excellent cleaner about 40 miles from here. There's an Orvis store across the street so I can go see if they're hiring while I'm at it hahaha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:33 pm 

Patrick wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:52 pm
Reddington wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:47 pm
Patrick wrote:

Patrick,
I have used the long-discontinued Whirlpool steamer for years. Also known as the Monolith.

But my latest one bit the dust, and is now collecting same until such time as I haul it over to the transfer station.

They do pop up on eBay fairly regularly but I am anticipating hard times ahead. Well, semi-hard. Moderately stiff. Mild unpleasantness. A temporary lack of ready cash. You get the idea.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

So I will make do with the old "back of the bathroom door while the shower is on" trick, augmented by a small handheld steamer, and vigorous brushing.

If I get into something serious, like mud or the blood of my enemies, I'll have to scout around and find a dry cleaner that knows his stuff. Apparently there is an excellent cleaner about 40 miles from here. There's an Orvis store across the street so I can go see if they're hiring while I'm at it hahaha
Sorry to hear the Whirlpool Monolith has given up the ghost. It served you well Brother. Hey, hang in there and stay strong with the job situation. I’ve been there and I know all too well that it’s no fun. But you know what...it’s true that when one door closes, another one opens. It did for me and it will for you.