Post subject: The Bewildering World of Sneakers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:13 pm 
Platinum Member

My New Balance 622s are on their way out. I got six years out of them. All I use them for is the gym.

Is there a bleeping sneaker that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't look like some kind of space pimp thing?

I'm looking around and the offerings are bewildering. And pricey. And they mostly look stupid.

Maybe I'll just get a pair of Chuck Taylor's, unless somebody messed them up too.

Grrr.

Post subject: Re: The Bewildering World of Sneakers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:19 pm 
Platinum Member

Firstly, I can’t attest to the cost of any of these other than the US NB, which are comparatively expensive. But I find anything under $100 to usually be a false economy for me.

Dedicated running shoes/sneakers are my least represented type of footwear; I have just a few now. New Balance 990, 993 runners (not cheap) though I only jog on the street occasionally. I am more likely to go jogging on a trail, where I will use a trail runner like Salomon, Merrell Moab, or a mid-boot.

But for the gym or just a comfortable walking shoe they will all work great.

You could find a New Balance store and see if they have anything you like. US made is more expensive than their imported offerings:

https://www.newbalance.com/men/shoes/li ... lue%7CGrey

Also the Brooks Vantage (if still available):

And “retro” sneakers by many——

Adidas (Samba. Haven. 8K. 350. Hamburg. Did they remake the SL 72?)

Puma (Super Liga. Whirlwind. Match. Basket.)

Asics (anybody remember the Onitsuka Tigers? :mrgreen: )

Saucony (Jazz)

What am I missing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:04 am 
Platinum Member

Beats me, you know far more than I do.

Thank you sir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:00 am 
Platinum Member

It's always a pleasure to absorb the knowledge of an expert! Thank you, Ensiferous.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:41 am 
Platinum Member

Thanks Billax, but I am definitely not an expert on the subject by any means! However, my frame of reference is a focused snapshot of the 1970s, when athletic shoes were a huge subject to us as youngsters. We were obsessed over our gear then too.

The regional aspect is a factor as well, where some areas saw more Vans, Chucks, Stan Smiths, Tretorns, Nike Cortez...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 am 
Platinum Member

This is what I ended up with. They are comfy, inoffensive to the eye, and 40 bucks on Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:39 am 
Platinum Member

I've worn Keds sneakers and Bass Weejuns since 1958/1959. I wore them with Wigwam Husky Wool socks and wear that model to this day. It's not that I'm unusually lazy and can't keep up with new looks... it's just that I'm very comfortable with Wool crew socks inside Bass Weejuns and Keds sneakers. For those who elect not to live in an ancient world, pardon my existing rotation – almost every day. Some would say "How boring!" Perhaps a few might say, "That's cool." Either way, I am who I am and I wear what I want to wear. It gets harder to find the Ivy Look... but it's not impossible. My concern that Ivy would go away completely, caused me to have closet fulls from the olden days. Heck, I'm from the olden days! :-)

To demonstrate the wretched excess this habit has carried me, the next post shows picture of 16 pairs of Wool Wigwam Huskies "air drying" to prepare themselves for the next 16 days

Last edited by Billax on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 am 
Platinum Member

My apologies for the post above. I tried to either modify or delete it... to no avail. Here's the picture of sixteen pairs of air-drying wool Wigwam Husky socks:

and here's a pic of me wearing a pair of those Huskies with a sport coat and Allen Edmonds Penny loafers:

This look... loafers/Wigwams/sport coat/tie/OCBD ... used the Wigwams as a way to make the sport coat and OCBD look more casual. I'm pretty sure that using Wigwams with a sport coat and tie is no longer understood the way it used to be.

Of course, as a seventy-seven year old guy, I no longer care much whether my looks are understood... or not.