Post subject: Question for the Furniture/Antique Buffs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:33 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I am considering buying this bed from a local seller for a guest bedroom.

I know the photos are terrible, but is there anything you all could tell me about this piece? Specifically, in what time period it was made?

I have not seen it in person yet and only know is that it is solid oak.

Post subject: Re:Question for the Furniture/Antique Buffs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No idea for me. Looks like a continental European style perhaps but hard to tell, particularly from the pic. Not particularly elegant but it might look good in person (quality of the carving and wood/finish). I guess it depends on the $$ too. Make sure you lie on it and make sure you are ok with the footboard (you never know, you might be sleeping there sometime ;) )- a footboard on a twin size might annoy your taller guests.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Speas wrote:
Not particularly elegant but it might look good in person (quality of the carving and wood/finish).
Yes, it is a bit rustic. I have a few James Pollard re-pro prints with a grouse hunting theme that I think will work with something like this.
Speas wrote:
- a footboard on a twin size might annoy your taller guests.
It's listed as a full. I certainly hope I don't drive 40 miles to find that it's a twin. :blink:

Thank you for your input, Speas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:00 pm 
$
$

My gut says Late Victorian. Certainly it is dark, heavy, and carved, with some Renaissance revival influence, pointing toward, say, 1890-1910. Could be a decade later, though. I'd guess its an American factory-made piece. But all just a guess.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 pm 

Since you got married you have to get rid of the futon? Geez,whats next, your Neon Beer Light?

Say it aint so Joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^Hey it happens to all of us. At one point in my youth I had both a Schlitz bull neon beer sign AND a wooden 'spool' table. GONE!

Never had the Billy Bass to complete the redneck decor trinity though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:31 pm 
Platinum Member

Bump...

From a bargain-hunting standpoint, the only thing better than thrift stores are estate sales. Granted, many of these are run by companies that specialize in that sort of thing, and they tend to overprice things (or at least price them appropriately, preventing any real bargains).

However, we ran across one this weekend that was being conducted by the family of the deceased. They were doing it in stages, starting with some smaller items, and limited to the ground floor of the two-story Colonial house only. After chatting with the daughter a bit, she let on that there was a lot of bedroom furniture upstairs that they would be selling in a couple of months. We mentioned that we were buying a new house, and would be looking for some bedroom furniture, so she asked if we wanted to take a look. "Sure!"

Upstairs we went, to find two rooms of turn-of-the-century mahogany Queen Anne furniture that was as solidly-constructed as the best stuff you can buy today. It had very little wear. One of the double beds had classic "cannonball" posters, and the two matching dressers were of the chest-on-chest style, with Chippendale feet and nicely aged original brass hardware. There was also a matching nightstand, mirror, and dressing table/vanity w/mirror and bench. We asked, "how much?" She said, "Well, we want to get rid of it," and started rattling off lowball prices for each piece. The grand total for everything came to a little over $500. I tried to sound calm as I asked, "Will you take a check?"

I should've taken some pics. The icing on the cake is that she's holding it for us until the new house is ready. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Goes to show sometimes we are blessed with what we need and want at a price we can afford. I delight in your good fortune.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nice. The chest on chest sounds good.