Post subject: Your Place of Residence
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:51 pm 
Platinum Member

As inspired by the wonderful photos Fading Fast posted of his 1920s apartment in NYC at the "mothership," here's a thread for sharing photos and information about your residence with other members.

Here's my home, which has an interesting history that I'm still uncovering:

Since moving in about six years ago, we've been restoring it to a 1920s Arts & Crafts look. There is a lot to un-do from previous remodels.

Below is a partial view of the living room. The mantle is sapele and replaces another non-original mantle that was sub-par. The previous owner painted the natural fieldstone fireplace white (!) and the opening had a non-original marble surround. I ditched the surround and have slowly been removing the paint and using color enhancer to bring the stones back to their original glory.

The original portion of the home, which happens to be the kitchen area today, was built circa 1871. I don't know who built it or anything about its 19th-century ownership history, but I know it was moved to its present location around 1922. Through research, I was able to track down a woman in her late 90s who lived here--her father is the one who moved the home. She clearly recalled her father renting a team of horses to pull the home across logs to the present site. The moving process took a couple weeks, and her family lived in the home as it made its half-mile journey.

Here is a photo of the original home at its original location, circa 1916-1922:

Once the home was placed on its new foundation, the owner began building a substantial front addition. I was told he spent about five years building it himself, with some help from his buddies, after work and on weekends. The owner is pictured standing on the roof during the addition phase. Note the cornfields to the extreme right and the vast emptiness all around. This was farm country in the early 1920s!

A couple of years ago, we removed a crummy wood deck and installed a natural-stone patio. The workers dug up an old hand-forged horseshoe in the backyard. I cleaned it off, along with some square nails I found in some old boards that were lying in the backyard. I'd like to think that the shoe once belonged to one of the horses that helped move our house in the early 1920s!

Post subject: Re: Your Place of Residence
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:54 pm 

We had a similar thread a few years back here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17621

Unfortunately, it looks like quite a few of Billax's photos have been deleted--his posts were the highlight of that thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Beautiful home, Gamma, and a great story! Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 am 
Platinum Member

Very cool Gamma! Thanks for sharing.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:23 pm 
Platinum Member

I am cleaning my apartment prior to getting some new furniture tomorrow.

For about six years I had a giant old Mac gathering dust on one side of my desk. I was saving it in case I needed a doorstop.

Now it is gone, and in its place -- Bust O' Zeus!

I bought Busto in 1984-85 in Richmond, Va. at a thrift shop on Broad Street somewhere. The guy put it in a paper grocery bag for me, so the top of Busto's helmet was sticking out.

I got on the bus with a guy who was carrying a bucket of Popeye's chicken. He looked at me, and Busto peeking out from the bag, and laughed.

I said "Hey, you've got a bucket o' chicken, I've got a bust o' zeus."

The other fine thrift shop purchase is this basketball lamp. I got this about 14 years ago at the Salvation Army in Torrington, Conn.

Try finding items like these in your IKEAs and Bob's Discount Furniture.

So for all of you who were wondering, this is where the magic happens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:00 pm 
Platinum Member

New and imrpoved living room

You wouldn't believe the dust and crap I kicked up the last two days. No wonder I couldn't breathe.

New couch, table and big cupboards. I'm going to get some of the stuff out of the fish closet, which is a Marx Brothers stateroom scene situation at the moment. This stuff was living under the kitchen table "temporarily," meaning until trout season 2017 opens, when it rides around in the car.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:17 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrick wrote:
New and imrpoved living room

You wouldn't believe the dust and crap I kicked up the last two days. No wonder I couldn't breathe.

New couch, table and big cupboards. I'm going to get some of the stuff out of the fish closet, which is a Marx Brothers stateroom scene situation at the moment. This stuff was living under the kitchen table "temporarily," meaning until trout season 2017 opens, when it rides around in the car.

Handsome arrangement, Patrick!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:13 am 
Platinum Member

Nice topic, Gamma. We had a similar topic a few years ago and I felt it helped us all better understand why we dressed the way we do. On that topic, I posted a few pictures of my current modernist house. We left California about six years ago and moved to North Carolina to be closer to family as we aged. The Classic Beauty has FAR better judgment on such matters than I.

I was an emotional wreck for leaving our California home. Still am in many ways. Here are a few pictures of that house. The Organic, Wrightian, modernist house we restored, lived in for 25 years, then sold:

This is the Thurston Residence, designed by Olof Dahlstrand. It was design complete in 1952 and construction complete in 1954. The house has been known as Brook House for at least fifty years.
The cantilevered, see-through design is facilitated by the four materials of Brook House: Steel beams, concrete and concrete block, old-growth Redwood, and sheet glass. The 96" roof cantilever shading the Living Room required the longest steel beams.

About 150 feet behind camera view is a small volume waterfall, that drops 80 feet in three stages, feeding a gentle Brook flowing downslope from the house. This picture also shows a bit of the 528" driveway from public street to the house, When we bought the house the driveway was 521' long. I extended the drive seven feet near the house, so I could say the drive was "a tenth of a mile long!" Pure marketing hyperbole.

View of the 800 acres of "forever-wild" land that abuts the grounds of Brook House

Glass-walled Master Bedroom with a 600 sq. ft. private balcony overlooking the waterfall. In Summer, having our morning cup of coffee on that balcony – listening to the birds and the waterfall – was magical!

Pool to portico with grilling area and outdoor dining space. Some of the Classic Beauty's garden designs show up here.

Gardens by the Classic Beauty (a ten year docent at the University of California Botanical Gardens)
Restoration designs and oversite by Billax (an amateur if there ever was one)

© 2016 William Welty

Last edited by Billax on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:05 pm 
Platinum Member

You guys all have very pleasant domiciles, but since I am not a writer, I can only say of Billax's former Prairie School-meets-International:

:shock:

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:18 pm 
Platinum Member

This is from a couple of years ago, but it will probably look like this again on Saturday...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 pm 
Platinum Member

Topsider, I like your 6-over-9s, modillions, transom light, and especially the skewback brick flat arches over 1st floor windows.

A restrained, classic, timeless elegance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:27 pm 
Platinum Member

Ensiferous wrote:
Topsider, I like your 6-over-9s, modillions, transom light, and especially the skewback brick flat arches over 1st floor windows.

A restrained, classic, timeless elegance.
Classic Georgian proportions. I've always admired the George Wythe house in Williamsburg.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:41 pm 
Platinum Member

^ Can't tell with certainty from that pic, but looks like Flemish bond (I would bet.)

Marvelous.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:08 pm 
Platinum Member

Ensiferous wrote:
^ Can't tell with certainty from that pic, but looks like Flemish bond (I would bet.)

Marvelous.
Good eye. The Wythe house is done in Flemish bond. Mine is not (sadly). I only have one chimney, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 am 
Platinum Member

Gamma: nice work in tracing the history of your house and its meanderings!

Ensiferous, Thank you – as usual – for your gracious comments!