Post subject: Moving. Need storage suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:38 pm 

Well, Mrs. Reddington and I have decided it's time to leave this part of the country and move back to the South and be closer to home. Our plan is to first sell the house, then move into an apartment temporarily and look for jobs. So, the house must be put on the market and our 'stuff' must go into storage so the home can be 'staged'. I've found a storage unit that is supposed to be climate controlled. I will pack our clothes in cardboard boxes with mothballs and store them in the unit, off the floor.

I'd like to hear from those who have had to put their household items into storage to sell the home. Any do's, don't's, or lessons learned? Right now, we're both feeling a bit overwhelmed as we haven't moved in over 10 years and I'd really like to hear from others about your experiences and any advice you may have.

Thanks,
Reddington

Post subject: Re: Moving. Need storage suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good luck. I hope (someday) to be Dixie bound, myself. Never done it myself but I'd think about the large 'space bags' for the clothes and avoid the mothballs. They're airtight so I dont think that climate control should be too much of a concern that way. I'd probably want climate control for the good furniture though. I've know folks to use those 'pods' for storage for multiple leg moves. Easy to load at your own pace.

Post subject: Re: Moving. Need storage suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:21 pm 

Speas wrote:
Good luck. I hope (someday) to be Dixie bound, myself. Never done it myself but I'd think about the large 'space bags' for the clothes and avoid the mothballs. They're airtight so I dont think that climate control should be too much of a concern that way. I'd probably want climate control for the good furniture though. I've know folks to use those 'pods' for storage for multiple leg moves. Easy to load at your own pace.
Hello Speas,

Yeah, it's time we get back to where we once belonged. I'm looking forward to being able to go into a restaurant and order sweet tea without out getting a strange look like they've never heard of sweetened iced tea. Also, can't wait to be in a place where a rainy day is the exception and not the norm.

So, airtight bags. I hadn't thought about those. Moth balls, although effective, do make the clothes smell. I just secured a storage unit today, so I'll begin moving this weekend.

Deo Vindice,

Reddington