Post subject: LinkedIn
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:43 pm 

I am old school and I am not a social media person at all. I do not feel comfortable with using Facebook, Twitter, etc. However, several of my colleagues and others in my industry are using LinkedIn. Many have commented that they have been contacted by recruiters (from reputable companies) while considering looking for a new position and they use it for networking and building their business.

What I would like to know is how many of you are using LinkedIn and what are your thoughts? Any positive stories about using it? Any nightmares or headaches with using LinkedIn? Do you recommend one start using it or is it just hype that I am reading about LinkedIn.

Cheers.
Reddington

Post subject: Re: LinkedIn
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:15 pm 
Platinum Member

I've had a LinkedIn profile for several years. So far, it hasn't been particularly useful, aside from serving as something of a "Facebook for Professionals." Nonetheless, I see no downside to having a LinkedIn presence.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:30 pm 

I use it as well. You can use it actively, syndicating twitter posts or participating in discussion boards but I think most users are fairly passive most of the time.

I found it particularly useful when I was on the job market. If I were trying to get a job at a firm, I would run a search to find out if any of my connections had connections at that firm (my "2nd degree" connections). I would then ask my connection (via a phone call or traditional email) to make an introduction for me so that I could start to "network my way" to an interview with my target firm. I found it very effective in this way.

At worst, it's a signal to anyone who is interested in looking you up that you're a career-minded person. I don't see any real downside to having a profile, especially because you can adjust privacy settings to your comfort level.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 am 

Topsider and Nerdykarim thanks for the replies. Nerdykarim, what do you mean by 2nd degree connections? I do not use social media (facebook, linkedin twitter, myspace, etc.) so, I'm afraid I don't quite understand the terminology.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:59 am 

Reddington wrote:
Topsider and Nerdykarim thanks for the replies. Nerdykarim, what do you mean by 2nd degree connections? I do not use social media (facebook, linkedin twitter, myspace, etc.) so, I'm afraid I don't quite understand the terminology.
By "2nd degree connection," I mean the connections of my connections. For example, if A is connected to B, B is connected to C, and A and C are not connected, then A and C are 2nd degree connections on LI.

LI easily allows you to search 2nd degree connections to find out if any of your friends' friends work at a particular firm, which makes it great for setting up introductions when you're trying to get into a that company and you'd like to meet a few people on the inside.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This reminds me of an Onion story from a few months ago.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/linked ... ked,28448/

I have a profile, but almost never check it. Of course, I've never had a need to find a job through those means, but I still accept people I know.

Conor

(fixed link)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:28 pm 

nerdykarim wrote:
Reddington wrote:
By "2nd degree connection," I mean the connections of my connections. For example, if A is connected to B, B is connected to C, and A and C are not connected, then A and C are 2nd degree connections on LI.

LI easily allows you to search 2nd degree connections to find out if any of your friends' friends work at a particular firm, which makes it great for setting up introductions when you're trying to get into a that company and you'd like to meet a few people on the inside.
Got it. Makes sense now. Thanks.
redmanca wrote:
This reminds me of an Onion story from a few months ago.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/linked ... ked,28448/

I have a profile, but almost never check it. Of course, I've never had a need to find a job through those means, but I still accept people I know.

Conor

(fixed link)
I get the point. Those quotes made me laugh.