Post subject: "Sartre": The New Ivies?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:59 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Our man Sartre has a piece up on the Daily Prep http://www.muffyaldrich.com/2012/08/gue ... ivies.html

Post subject: Re: "Sartre": The New Ivies?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:58 am 
Platinum Member

csharp wrote:
Our man Sartre has a piece up on the Daily Prep http://www.muffyaldrich.com/2012/08/gue ... ivies.html
And what a great piece it is! Dressing for dinner at the Fraternity, multiple formals during the year, sorority girls in gowns..... Sartre's reminiscence brought back vivid – and happy – memories for me. In some sense, dressing for parties, events, and Balls (we called them formals on my campus) were, in part, intended to prepare us for grown-up life. Chamber music groups, string quartets, the University Orchestra, all provided a cultural heritage we were expected to absorb. It was an era in which bands and singing groups toured college campuses around the nation. We all attended dances at which Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and many more performed live for us at campus dances. I can see now that Etiquette, Chivalry, the expectation that the basic rules of a culture were to be absorbed, was an underlying purpose of these University sponsored events. Even at the time, it was heaven on earth to me. Though I didn't always act like a Gentleman, I knew, for sure, when I was breaking the rules. The rules stuck with me.

Soon enough, much of that for which we were being prepared would be torn down, laughed at, and discarded in the ensuing twenty years of American culture's race to the bottom. Sartre's article brought back a cascade of memories for me. Perhaps enough time has passed so that younger generations can see the social purposes of college life (and particularly fraternity life) of that era were preparation for a way of life that, mostly, was hit by a wrecking ball, while those with the least perspective in our society cheered its demise.

Sorry to be late in finding this, but many thanks to Sartre for writing the article.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member

I am way late on this thread, but I really liked Sartre's piece. He should write more! I would love to know what you think about Wittenberg University? I think it is trending neo-prep, but when I was a kid as a "townie" we thought the girls were very granola (which I imagine I would now find splendid), lol. My how time flies.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This one was better, and more heartfelt.

http://www.muffyaldrich.com/2011/06/gue ... a-phi.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:45 pm 
Platinum Member

A lovely remembrance, Sir.

Thanks!