Post subject: Console Table Project
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So I'm trying out one of Ana White's DIY furniture projects.

I'm building the Balin table pictured below.

Anyone ever tried one of her projects before? Apparently her website is pretty popular.

http://ana-white.com

Post subject: Re: Console Table Project
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:37 pm 

Jordan, I love DIY and building things. I have not heard of this site before though. I'll check it out. Please post progress pic, I'd love to follow along.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 pm 
$
$

Hardiw1 wrote:
Please post progress pic, I'd love to follow along.
Yes, do. My old man could build anything, or fix anything. A great trait when there is no money. I, unfortunately, didn't inherit that gene, and am sumpremely jealous of those who can.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:09 am 

Best of luck on the project Jordan. I'd love to see shots of the progress and final result.

To be honest, looking over that site I'm not particularly enamored with the designs, methods or construction.
But at the same there's not all that much difference between those projects and the Pottery Barn type stuff it's inspired by that sells for far more money.

Making furniture and woodworking can be incredibly rewarding hobbies (and incredibly difficult ways to make a living) I hope this project piques your interest and you find that it's something you'd look to pursue further.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I will definitely post pictures, y'all. Should be a fun little project.
TBS wrote:
Best of luck on the project Jordan. I'd love to see shots of the progress and final result.

To be honest, looking over that site I'm not particularly enamored with the designs, methods or construction.
But at the same there's not all that much difference between those projects and the Pottery Barn type stuff it's inspired by that sells for far more money.

Making furniture and woodworking can be incredibly rewarding hobbies (and incredibly difficult ways to make a living) I hope this project piques your interest and you find that it's something you'd look to pursue further.
TBS, you are right about the construction methods. I'm no expert, but I do know that these are not heirloom quality pieces, but certainly have the potential to be such if they were modified by an experienced and skilled hand.

By the way, it's great to see you pop your head in over here. I know several other members would agree.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:23 pm 
$
$

Not a bad design for a nail-together project. I'm not a fan of stained pine as shown, but I think that it would look pretty good painted. No ripping of lumber required, I see; all box store standard widths. Be choosy when you buy your lumber. Pick through every stick in the pile if you have to. Buy the straightest ones there, with sound knots only. Be sure to use plenty of glue (Tightbond II is best). Clamp together when you assemble, if you have any clamps. Have fun, but beware, making sawdust can become addictive.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks, NG. I am going to attempt to stain it. I'm in the process of researching the best method and materials.

I'm building it nest Friday. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 pm 

Any updates on this Jordan?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hardiw1 wrote:
Any updates on this Jordan?
Thanks for asking, Hardi. True story: Today I went over to a friend's wood shop to begin the project. As we were placing wood on the miter saw to make our first cut, the power was knocked out by the storm going on. Going to try again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 pm 

Divine intervention perhaps...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So far, so good. As soon as I can track down a table saw I'm going to knock out the drawers. Then that leaves staining, which I'm a bit nervous about. I have some wood conditioner that folks say is a good primer for staining pine. We'll see how it goes.

Feel free to chime in on the staining process, Naval Gent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:55 pm 
Platinum Member

Looks good so far! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:21 pm 
$
$

Looking pretty dang good to me, Jordan. You bought the better lumber I see. Nice. I'm afraid I don't have any great tips for staining, but I think you are definitely on the right track with the conditioner.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks, Scott.

Any tips on making square cuts with a circular saw? I just can't do it freehand. I tried making one cut each way on a miter saw, but the damn miter saw isn't cutting square. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 am 

That's looking really nice.

For straight cuts with a circular saw you can just clamp on a straight edge or build a jig. Though in the long run it might be better just to adjust the fence on your miter saw so it does cut correctly.

What type of stain are you using?
For pine I'd definitely recommend some sort of pre-stain, as you mentioned.

If you're undecided about stains do consider something simple like shellac. Southern yellow pine can look really nice with a simple shellac, and it'll darken nicely over time.

I've become somewhat opposed to heavy stains and coloring in general. The nice thing about simple stuff like shellacs is that it'll allow the piece to age gracefully, and develop character. As opposed to showing a bright yellow spot under a dark stain after every ding or scuff (which softwood do frequently).