Post subject: Plantation Shutters... Damn, These Things Aren't Cheap
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Anyone have tips on finding the best value for these?

Should I order online? Should I find a local carpenter?

Post subject: Re: Plantation Shutters... Damn, These Things Aren't Cheap
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:47 pm 
Platinum Member

We've had good luck with Smith and Noble. No, not particularly cheap.

http://www.smithandnoble.com/shutters/wood-shutters/

We've also used http://www.blinds.com and http://www.stevesblindsandwallpaper.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jordan - Planation shutters look great. We had some in our old house and looked at some for the new house we built, but opted against after we saw the price.

My father-in-law recommended blinds.com to my wife and I. He had good things to say.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:31 pm 

JordanW wrote:
Anyone have tips on finding the best value for these?

Should I order online? Should I find a local carpenter?

What sizes do you need and the quantity? I have a bunch laying around in my warehouse, I could take a look for you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm 
$
$

not having seen the house, but knowing your tastes a little I'd say good quality shutters are a must :mrgreen: for your new digs. when I lived in Millbrook NY I had a white clapboard house with very well made shutters painted dark green, which was kind of the standard look up there. My favorite house-look. Patrick's western ct has much the same architecture. Looking forward to seeing this new place of yours!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Duck wrote:
What sizes do you need and the quantity? I have a bunch laying around in my warehouse, I could take a look for you
I appreciate that Duck! These are the measurements for the windows that face the front of the house. These are my priority right now. The last set of five face the back of the house. Those are second priority.

Qty. Height Width

1 60" 26"

2 63" 26"

1 63" 54"

5 73" 30"

The dining room has one large window 82" x 75" that, I would assume, would need to be split into three sections of shutters.

If you have any laying around that fit these measurements or that may be shaved down to fit, please let me know what you want for them. I will gladly take them off your hands!
The Rambler wrote:
not having seen the house, but knowing your tastes a little I'd say good quality shutters are a must :mrgreen: for your new digs. when I lived in Millbrook NY I had a white clapboard house with very well made shutters painted dark green, which was kind of the standard look up there. My favorite house-look. Patrick's western ct has much the same architecture. Looking forward to seeing this new place of yours!
Rambler, here are a couple photos of the house. It has sort of a Southern Living/craftsman look to it. I will post more as I take them. Excuse the condition of the grounds. They have not been maintained, obviously. The window trim is the same color as the floor trim, ceiling trim, and wainscotting in the dining room. I'm assuming that my window treatments will need to be painted beige to match?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 pm 
Platinum Member

Very nice looking house!

I like plantation shutters, but my wife doesn't. Consequently, we don't have any.

We've ordered other window treatments from the companies I mentioned earlier, however, and they carry shutters, too.