Post subject: The green room
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:38 pm 
Platinum Member

Our new house has some extra bedrooms, so I've claimed one of them as my office (or "man cave," as some would call it.) I've always wanted a hunter green office, and was further inspired by this recent post on ADG's blog ( http://maxminimus.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... -more.html ). After trying several colors, however, I decided that hunter green was just too dark. I ultimately settled on "Palace Chamber Green" from Pratt & Lambert's Colonial Williamsburg collection (most of the colors we're using in the new house are from the CW collection).

http://www.color-swatches.com/pratt-and ... watch.html

Anyone else have a green room in their house?

Post subject: Re:The green room
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

That looks great!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That looks spectacular. My wife's a bit of a nut about white walls so I have to live vicariously through the wall colors of others.

If I might recommend switches and outlets by Forbes & Lomax. They're not that expensive if you're just doing a room or two and there's nothing more satisfying then clicking one of their switches. I think they go very well with the sort of decor that I imagine many of us prefer. They're not hokey-vintage, but they're also not the run-of-the-mill Home Depot variety either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:52 pm 
Platinum Member

Trip English wrote:
That looks spectacular. My wife's a bit of a nut about white walls so I have to live vicariously through the wall colors of others.
I used to be afraid of color. Our current house was all beige initially, but we gradually repainted each room over time. My wife started with our dining room, which she painted Ralph Lauren Hunting Coat Red while I was at work one day. We like it so much that we're using it in the new dining room, too.

See if you can convince her to paint just one room. It will probably take off from there.
If I might recommend switches and outlets by Forbes & Lomax. They're not that expensive if you're just doing a room or two and there's nothing more satisfying then clicking one of their switches. I think they go very well with the sort of decor that I imagine many of us prefer. They're not hokey-vintage, but they're also not the run-of-the-mill Home Depot variety either.
They look very cool. Unfortunately, I'm already over budget. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:14 pm 

That's a great color in that room. Now you have your own "palace chamber." :)

I think for classic colors P&L's Colonial Williamsburg and several offerings by Benjamin Moore are the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 am 
Platinum Member

Some of the other colors:

Dining room: "Hunting Coat Red" (the only non-CW color we used)

That's faux wainscoting, BTW...we sanded the lower half of the wall, applied molding and painted it.

Living room: "Wythe House Blue"

Foyer and upstairs hallway: "Pelham Gray Medium Light"

Master bedroom: "James Moir Shop Fawn"

Guest bedroom #1: "Palace Dining Room Pearl Blue - Dark"

Guest bedroom #2: "Palace Chambers Yellow - Medium"

We're not totally nuts, though. Most of the other rooms downstairs are painted a tan/beige color, "George Pitt House Bisque."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Those rooms look fantastic. The faux paneling in the dining room came out really well.

On a related note, I'd like to wander over to my local paint store and just read through the names!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 am 
$
$

great rooms/colors, such fun. Trip, I swear my wife, an old English major, picks colors solely by the sound of their names, though the golden age of color names was surely Detroit cars of the 50s/60s.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:47 pm 
$
$

I had a dark green office when we first moved in to our house a couple of decades ago. But then along came children, and that room became the nursery. My current man cave (presently co-opted by teenagers, btw) is below grade, so I had to stick with white. We still have a bright red entry hall and a sorta' royal blue dining room.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

TS - Those rooms look great. We had quite a bit of color in our old house. I especially like the Hunting Coat Red.

I get decorating control over the study in our new house my wife and I are building. My wife initially suggested billiard green, but we thought it too dark.

Our builder uses Sherwin Williams and I decided on the Isle of Pines.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_y ... _of_pines/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:20 am 

Topsider,

I think the green room is fantastic. In fact, every room looks great. You've given me some inspiration going into a new house.

Great job.