Post subject: Books, books, and more books!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:37 am 
Platinum Member

Maxminimus did a blog post recently about being overrun with books, and we find ourselves in a similar situation. I just can't seem to get into electronic books. There's something about holding a book in your hands, turning the pages, etc. that digital books simply can't replace. And, of course, there's the fact that digital books don't display nearly as well on a bookshelf.

Nearly all of these were purchased at thrift stores, garage sales, and estate sales over the years. And, yes...we've actually read (or at least perused) most of them!

Anyone else have a book addiction?

Post subject: Re:Books, books, and more books!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 pm 
$
$

I love books. You have a nice looking collection there! My dream house will have a large wood/leather classic men's club decor library/office with loads of bookshelves.

I do have an e-reader (kindle) and was reluctant to get one (it was a gift). I do enjoy it - lots of free classics to read!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:50 pm 
$
$

a library room with book shelves from floor to ceiling does work very well. i like the kindle especially on vacation and for airplane travel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Love books. Books about a favorite subjects,books by favorite and sometimes obscure writers. I like that they grow organically out of personal interest and are the polar opposite of those sad souls who by their books by the foot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:35 pm 
Platinum Member

I've got books everywhere. I buy them at yard sales, thrift shops, library sales, remainder outfits. I've got four library cards. People give me books. I've got books in boxes at my parents house — stacks of them. Ditto at the Catskill cabin. I always have two or three going at once, unless I get completely engrossed.

I was a little worried, that one photo didn't look cluttered enough. What are those plates doing on your bookshelf?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:54 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrick wrote:
I was a little worried, that one photo didn't look cluttered enough. What are those plates doing on your bookshelf?
That's "decorating." My wife's doing. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:26 am 
$
$

I do love paper books, but I find myself reading more and more on my kindle I currently have Infinite Jest going on the Kindle, and Lonesome Dove in paperback and find myself wishing Lonesome Dove was on the Kindle. It's easier in many ways, plus it allows me to read it, place synched, on my iphone while my girlfriend is trying things on at one store or another.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:56 pm 
$
$

hookem12387 wrote:
I do love paper books, but I find myself reading more and more on my kindle I currently have Infinite Jest going on the Kindle, and Lonesome Dove in paperback and find myself wishing Lonesome Dove was on the Kindle. It's easier in many ways, plus it allows me to read it, place synched, on my iphone while my girlfriend is trying things on at one store or another.
the kindle is very useful when you are traveling. also, a source for reading newspaper