Post subject: Re: Your Place of Residence
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:13 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys. The restoration and renovations continue.

Patrick's home comes across as a nice representation of his online persona.

Topsider: absolutely classic! I imagine the interior is just as appealing as the exterior.

Billax: Brook House looks fabulous. And with 800 unspoiled acres surrounding it, too. Wow! Was it ever featured in a publication?

Didn't you also once own a historic home from the 19th or early 20th century?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 am 
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, guys. The restoration and renovations continue.

1) Billax: Brook House looks fabulous. And with 800 unspoiled acres surrounding it, too. Wow! Was it ever featured in a publication?

2) Didn't you also once own a historic home from the 19th or early 20th century?

2) 1848 Fieldstone Greek Revival style – listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the US Department of the Interior

3) Three other architect designed Modernist residences.

Last edited by Billax on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:35 am 
Platinum Member

Quote:

2) 1848 Fieldstone
This home is very appealing! You've had some stunning residences, sir.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

2) 1848 Fieldstone
This home is very appealing! You've had some stunning residences, sir.
Thanks, Gamma! Design guides my life, whether in architecture, apparel, or automobiles. Sometimes it leads me to some VERY uneconomic choices! But, other times – to my credit – I just shrug my shoulders and buy the thing I love. On many occasions, as the Classic Beauty points out to me, I can be dumber than a stone!

You can be pretty sure I ain't showin' you the mistakes.... :–)

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some terrific places here. But Bill, wow. I wish I could say "design," or anything else other than college tuition, guided my life.

Here is our place, in the western Phila suburbs.

The view from my chair by the living room fireplace. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:27 pm 

Quote:
Some terrific places here. But Bill, wow. I wish I could say "design," or anything else other than college tuition, guided my life.

Here is our place, in the western Phila suburbs.

H
The view from my chair by the living room fireplace. :-)

Beautiful home and I love the room. Cozy, in a good way. It makes you want to relax with a good book and a crackling fire. Very nice. And thank you for flying Old Glory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ Redd, I inherited from my father-in-law a large collection of historical American flags. Coincidentally, these two photos show the current version, but normally you would see the Taunton flag, Philadelphia Light Horse, Commodore Perry's flag, Bennington, Gadsden, Bedford, Bunker Hill, the Green Mountain Boys (flying now), the Sons of Liberty, et al. My next door neighbor thinks I'm a bit of a loon. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:43 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
...Taunton flag, Philadelphia Light Horse, Commodore Perry's flag, Bennington, Gadsden, Bedford, Bunker Hill, the Green Mountain Boys (flying now), the Sons of Liberty...
Now THAT is great. 8)

Sartre, beautiful home, exterior and interior. The stone front, big stone lintels*, and shed dormer are wonderful.

Do I see three chimney niches? Or is that an illusion.. If so, very neat, and unusual.

(*Maybe large wooden beam lintels??)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:51 pm 
Platinum Member

Sartre,
THAT IS A STUNNING HOME! In a long ago day when I was pursuing architectural style for it's own sake, I lusted after flat laid stone homes, particularly those of your area. I mean LUSTED! And those interior shots are jaw-dropping.

While in my public persona I am an unrepentant modernist, my heart starts beating faster and saliva starts moistening everything when I see a home so well conceived and in which interiors and exterior are so congruent!

Bill

P.S. Your flag collection is bigger than mine, though I have most of those you named. I do not have an in-ground flag pole and I desperately want one. If you installed yours, can you tell me how hard it was, how tall your pole is, whether you take flags down every night or illuminate.... and anything else about your flag flying practices. Thanks in advance,

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Sartre, beautiful home, exterior and interior. The stone front, big stone lintels*, and shed dormer are wonderful.

Do I see three chimney niches? Or is that an illusion.. If so, very neat, and unusual.

(*Maybe large wooden beam lintels??)
Yes, those are indeed three chimney niches. Wild, eh? And the lintels are large wooden beams.
Quote:

P.S. Your flag collection is bigger than mine, though I have most of those you named. I do not have an in-ground flag pole and I desperately want one. If you installed yours, can you tell me how hard it was, how tall your pole is, whether you take flags down every night or illuminate.... and anything else about your flag flying practices. Thanks in advance,

Bill
Bill, the flagpole was there when we purchased the home and I'm telling you, even after 13 years and dozens of little neighbor kids pulling and leaning on it, it's remained solid. I don't take the flags down every night, I really don't have much of a system about it, although I do fly certain flags on certain days (e.g. Green Mountain Boys on my son Ethan's birthday, Washington's HQ on Presidents Day, etc.). And I do not illuminate the pole.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:57 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't take the flags down every night, .... And I do not illuminate the pole.
You now have a new project to put on your list, Satre; an LED spotlight for the flags. :mrgreen:

"The Flag Code states it is custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flag staffs in the open."

"However, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hmm. I should have clarified, the pole is not illuminated specially but it is illuminated by our outdoor light and a nearby street lamp. Does that qualify? Or am I gonna be busted down to PFC?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:16 pm 
Platinum Member

Amazing stuff, guys!

I am working on redecorating (read decorating) my late 19th century apartment. Thanks for the inspirations! There is actually a lot of similarities between my living room and Sartre's. I will share pics in the coming month or so.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:49 am 

Quote:
^ Redd, I inherited from my father-in-law a large collection of historical American flags. Coincidentally, these two photos show the current version, but normally you would see the Taunton flag, Philadelphia Light Horse, Commodore Perry's flag, Bennington, Gadsden, Bedford, Bunker Hill, the Green Mountain Boys (flying now), the Sons of Liberty, et al. My next door neighbor thinks I'm a bit of a loon. :-)
Sartre,

Would love to see some pictures of your various flags in all their glory. I usually I fly Old Glory or The Palmetto State flag. However, yesterday I flew the St. George’s Cross to celebrate Blighty’s win over Sweden.
:D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ Will do. Once I fix the flagpole, which was recently run over by our grass cutting guy. :-)