Post subject: Good times – Hard Choices
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:34 pm 
Platinum Member

This 1962 picture shows "Dogtown," the shopping strip adjacent to my University. The single story building with the Black sign with White letters (and a reflection) was Bruce Ross – owned by Richard "Dick" Ross, my apparel mentor as well as my Boss. Taking courses in an Engineering major, running Varsity Track, working in an Ivy Clothing store, and lotsa girls to date used up way too much time to get great grades. I had choices to make.... I gave up good grades!

At my University, grades went from 0 to 4. The classic "4 point" was top o' the heap. The reciprocal, ) 0.0 was a "no point." If you got a "no point' you had a meeting with the Dean of Students, who conveyed to you the news that there was "no point" in continuing at University. The Dean merely said, "You'll need a 3.6 GPA this term to offset the 0.8 you just received. If you achieve a 3.6 or better, you get to stay! And maybe graduate! If not, then not."

That scared the poop out of me. I got a 3.6 that term and higher than that in the ensuing year., I got married, and then I had two people keeping me on the straight and narrow!

Here's me, on the cusp of growin' up:

I'm grateful to the Dean of Students, my wife, and my Mom, all of whom believed in me when I really needed that. But for them, there was "no point" for me!
NB: My three Sons have heard me tell this story of near-tragedy numerous time. Apparently, my laziness scared them, as all graduated with high Honors and two of them were Valedictorians (one in Mathematics and the other in Law).

Post subject: Re: Good times – Hard Choices
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:20 pm 
Platinum Member

Fear of failure has been a big motivator for me over the years, as well. I've done some of my best work under pressure. ;)