Post subject: Should There Be A "Trad Questions" Thread?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The title states my question, but here is some rational for it. I'm quite new to TNSIL clothing (and dressing well at all) and so still have a bunch of questions. I don't want to clutter up the CAC forum with all new threads dedicated to a new question, so I was wondering if there should be a thread dedicated to small questions, like there is at AAAC(T).

On the other hand, I know there is an incredible wealth of knowledge in the AAAT thread, and most of my questions could probably be answered by some diligent searching in that thread.

What say ye? Should I make a thread, or shut up and start searching?

Conor

Post subject: Re:Should There Be A "Trad Questions" Thread?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:57 pm 
$
$

My personal feelings:

As you have sensed, this is not really a 'beginner' board, but you have contributed with good humor, good pictures and a GREAT primer on pipe tobacco.

I'd say go ahead and ask anything you'd like. However, my guess is that the folks here would appreciate your doing a bit of homework first - checking whatever threads are applicable here and elsewhere and then asking a question based on that research....

As far as a "simple questions" thread vs. "cluttering" the board with numerous threads, I don't see that we have that many new threads each day, so I vote for ask each question as a separate thread.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think you've earned the right to ask your questions directly. I dont think an ongoing thread is necessary though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok, thanks guys. I figured this would be the consensus. I appreciate your replies.

BTW, I know of some reasons that some of you left a particular forum and came here. I will try my best and not bring the same sort of thing to this forum. However, I am very new to this sort of thing. If you feel like I am making the same sort of mistakes (or if I just annoy you in some way) please send me a PM or e-mail or something letting me know what I'm doing and why it bothers you. I know many people have worked very hard to make this forum a success and a pleasure, and the last thing I want to do is bring those standards down.

Thanks,
Conor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:50 pm 

I will add that the ability to search just for thread titles over on Ask Andy is a godsend. When I go on forums that don't offer that feature (like Shotgun World), the search funtion becomes quite ungainly and much less useful. Take full advantage of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:19 pm 

Conor, no one is bothered by an eager person new to the look. Many of us where like that once. What I can't stand are the trolls that ask the stupid questions with the direct intent of undermining a forum. Most of the folks who ask newby questions elsewhere are actually trolls hoping to cause a disruption. Looks, and sounds to me like you are not in that catagory. In that case, ask away.

JB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:47 pm 

Tack on one more in the "fire away" category.

I actually think revisiting some of the basics would be a good thing over here, to get past the "Here's the rehearsed answer" and "Me too" stuff. If you choose to start new threads on certain topics, I suggest making them vague/broad enough to allow the threads to develop into something more indepth than just a simple yes or no answer to a direct question.

One more thing: just don't ask questions like "What is the (trad/right/best/whatever) _____." Simply rephrasing that as "What are your thoughts on _____" makes all the difference.

Quest for the Holy Ale

Post subject: Re:Should There Be A
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:19 pm 
$
$

Quote:
One more thing: just don't ask questions like "What is the (trad/right/best/whatever) _____." Simply rephrasing that as "What are your thoughts on _____" makes all the difference.
+1, and if anyone ever posts a link to the "Tea Partay" video......:angry:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I LOVE the Tea Partay video.

Ok really, perhaps there should be a something under the "Rules" heading (currently empty) which states that if you post a link to the Tea Partay video you will be marooned on the FNB board and must debate the origin of TRAD with Russell for a period of 1 year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I really do appreciate them. I understand that pretty much everyone else here is very knowledgeable and advanced in the style, whereas I am very new. Indeed I see it every time I look at the WAYW thread. This is why I'm so grateful for, firstly, Jordan letting me join, and finally for you all letting me continue to post.

Conor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I LOVE the Tea Partay video.

Ok really, perhaps there should be a something under the "Rules" heading (currently empty) which states that if you post a link to the Tea Partay video you will be marooned on the FNB board and must debate the origin of TRAD with Russell for a period of 1 year.
^ Now THAT is funny.

I'm with wnh, Conor.

I would also refer to the sticky threads at AAAT, particularly the 101.